How to Find Slope for Polygon Feature

Jump to solution
05-17-2020 01:48 PM
GraceTortorici
New Contributor

Hi all! I have gathered SRTM data and from there gathered the slope for my desired region of study. I am specifically looking at tree growth and reforestation. I have a layer of polygons outlining the tree growth I want to specifically look at. How would I be able to find the slopes for these polygons? I know how to use the Extract Multi Values to Point tool, but these are polygons not points. I also tried the Zonal Statistics as Table tool, but it did not work. Any suggestions?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I would take a stab at your data not being projected. I believe Pro can do slope etc with a GCS nowadays but I'd say best practice is to project it if you want to play nice with other data.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Zonal Statistics—Help | Documentation 

and its tabular equivalent should work.  What did you use and specify for the tools?  Did you get errors or just unexpected results?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GraceTortorici
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

I guess I am just confused on how to run the tool...I created two new fields in my polygon attribute table (one for DEM and one for slope). I do not know if this is right, but I don't see another way. This is my process. The output is generating an empty table. Treegrowth are all of my polygons. Hillshade_STRM_Clip_Clip is my DEM. I also tried this with my slope raster, and got the same results. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What's the resolution of the SRTM you're using? what's a typical size of your polygon area?

Your zonal statistics can take an average (and many other stats) of the raster cell centres which intersect your polygons.

Though it's highly unlikely that the slope will be regular across the polygon, or in the same direction, unless we are looking at vineyards or something?

0 Kudos
GraceTortorici
New Contributor

Hi! I am unsure on how to find the resolution, I am unable to see any information in the display properties. I downloaded a single SRTM tile from Earth Data. Most of my polygons have a shape area of 0...do not know why. Is that normal? They are measuring some decent size areas of tree growth.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I would take a stab at your data not being projected. I believe Pro can do slope etc with a GCS nowadays but I'd say best practice is to project it if you want to play nice with other data.

0 Kudos
GraceTortorici
New Contributor

That worked!! Thank you so much Dave!!

0 Kudos