how to export a high quality map for publication from arcGIS Pro?

04-09-2020 08:50 AM
AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

I have previously used arcMap to export map layouts to adobe illustrator and it was great. That option does not exist in arcGIS pro, so I read a lot of recommendations to use pdf instead to keep layers separate.

But the quality of the layers in my exported files are TERRIBLE! I have played with the different compression settings, but not a single outuput looks like what I am seeing in arcGIS Pro.

My export settings are below, and the map in the arcGIS pro layout, and the final pdf opened in illustrator.

The rasters are blocky, the lines very thick, like the image has not rendered completely. Can anyone help? What settings are recommended? There has to be a way to export quality maps with raster and polygon layers??

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichelleBrake
New Contributor III

Have you tried increasing the DPI at all? Trying 450, 600, etc to see if it makes any difference. When creating maps or posters that I want high quality on this is one of the first places I start.

Michelle
geojobe.com

AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

That didn't work but guess what did? Changing the raster resampling from nearest neighbour to cubic convolution - which makes no sense because my rasters are binary, therefore nearest neighbor (if done at the right resolution) would be the correct choice. But it seems that option I useless if you want to eventually export. Go figure!

0 Kudos