How to ensure extracted values from a raster are always listed in the same order?

11-24-2020 05:51 PM
Labels (1)
KatieMartins
New Contributor

Hello All, 

I am an undergrad student conducting research and am in need of some help. I am working with PERSIANN Precipitation data. The data uses grid infrared images of global geosynchonous satellites to generate 30-minute rain rates with a 0.25 x 0.25-degree latitude/longitude scale. So each pixel delivers a rainfall measurement in mm. 

I am attempting to export this data for a region in south Africa for every month of the year for a 20 year study period. I am using the "Extract Values to Table" tool and then the "Table to Excell tool. (Hopefully writing a script to do this automatically in the future.)

However I want to ensure that every time I use the "Extract Values to Table" tool the provided table has all pixels in the same order every single time. I have tried to confirm this by using the Pixel Editor to identify single pixel values across different images and matching the value to locations in the table, which has not worked ( i.e. the pixel editor tells me a value of a pixel and then that value is not in the extracted table for some reason). I have also done further research on the tool however I can not seem to find any explanation of the process. Can anyone shed light on how to tool functions or how I might be able to confirm that the table has the pixels listed in the same order for each extraction I conduct? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you looked at

Extract Values to Points (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Extract Multi Values to Points (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The points will ensure that the order is maintained and the latter tool allows you to extract data from multiple rasters.  The results can be exported to excel using Table to Excel and processed from there 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos