How to easily change a graduate colour map into a choropleth with areas highlighted?

Jump to solution
04-10-2021 01:34 AM
DengYijia
New Contributor
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One very easy way to do this is via a Definition Query on your layer.  Add a new field to your feature class and for the polygons to highlight, calculate the new field to 1 or "Yes" or whatever term you want.  Then switch your selection and calculate the other polygons to NOT show on the map as 2 or "No" or whatever term you want.

Then in the Layer Properties->Definition Query, perform a definition query where NewField = "Yes" and click OK.  Only those polygons meeting the query show.  Add the same layer to the map again below the first layer, perform a query where NewField = "No" and click OK.  Only those polygons meeting the query show.  Symbolize those layers and a clear outline for example.  I'm sure there's other ways of accomplishing the same task but this is the first that popped to my mind.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is your data?  You can easily change your classification type, so your question (in the title) isn't clear as to what you are trying to accomplish

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DengYijia
New Contributor

Graduated Map.PNG

How to make three regions of this map highlighted or make the rest of the map monochromatic (i.e. black and white) ?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One very easy way to do this is via a Definition Query on your layer.  Add a new field to your feature class and for the polygons to highlight, calculate the new field to 1 or "Yes" or whatever term you want.  Then switch your selection and calculate the other polygons to NOT show on the map as 2 or "No" or whatever term you want.

Then in the Layer Properties->Definition Query, perform a definition query where NewField = "Yes" and click OK.  Only those polygons meeting the query show.  Add the same layer to the map again below the first layer, perform a query where NewField = "No" and click OK.  Only those polygons meeting the query show.  Symbolize those layers and a clear outline for example.  I'm sure there's other ways of accomplishing the same task but this is the first that popped to my mind.