How to define projection of an .las file with an "unknown projection" that I know is actually in MGRS?

11-02-2020 12:20 PM
ChristopherCook
New Contributor III

I received this data from a company that collected the data. The original data were a .pcd file that I converted to an .las using CloudCompare, as I couldn't seem to find a way to get the .pcd into ArcGIS Pro.

When I added the .las file to my Table of Contents in ArcGIS Pro I realized that it has an Unknown Coordinate System. I know that this file is in MGRS, which I had heretofore never worked with (it took me a while, but I eventually realized "mgrs" is in the file name).

I am attempting to define the projection so that the .las tile is placed in its spatially correct location. However, I see no way to choose "MGRS" as a projected coordinate system when I attempt to define the projection. I have also attempted to perform this action when making an las dataset, by making a PRJ for the file, but this does not seem to help. For reference, I tried following the directions found here: ArcGIS Help 10.1 in the section called "Spatial Reference". I feel like this gets me closer to solving the issue, but I see no way to edit the PRJ file that this process creates... so I am still stuck with an .lasd file that is based off of an undefined .las file. Anyone have a way to do this or a work around for defining a projection in MGRS for lidar data? Am I way off here? I've included a snip of my window to provide some info regarding the .las I am working with.

Thank you so much for your help. 

-Chris

0 Kudos
14 Replies
BrianStearmer
New Contributor

This is correct, MGRS is not a coordinate system.  It is a reference system on top of UTM.  My guess is the data was either (1) projected into a WGS84 based UTM Zone or (2) it is truly unprojected (as a lot of military lidar systems will put out unprojected pcd files).

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

You can convert PCD to LAS directly using the Data Interoperability extension, including conversion from MGRS to a real coordinate system using the MGRSToLatLongConverter.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCook
New Contributor III

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your help. I will give your suggestions a try this morning and let you know if I have success.

Thanks,

Chris

ChristopherCook
New Contributor III

Hi Bruce, I attempted to use the Data Interoperability tools to create a Reader (in Workbench... which I have never used before) to read the original PCD file I have been working with, but I received the below error. Any thoughts regarding this isssue? I then attempted to use the Data Inspector, and I got the second error below.

Thank you,

Chris 

Data Interoperability (node locked-crc)

Permanent License.

Machine host name is: precisionm4700b

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)

Copyright (c) 1994 - 2020, Safe Software Inc.

Safe Software Inc.

Creating reader for format: Point Cloud Data (PCD)

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `PCD'

Module 'PCD' is unavailable for use with this FME edition

Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'PCD' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information

FME Session Duration: 0.8 seconds. (CPU: 0.4s user, 0.3s system)

END - ProcessID: 4188, peak process memory usage: 65056 kB, current process memory usage: 65056 kB

Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'PCD' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED.

Workspace generation failed. Parameter file was C:\Users\clcook2\AppData\Local\Temp\ArcGISProTemp5604\FME_1604440320787_6784.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Module 'PCD' is unavailable for use with this FME edition

Failed to open the dataset 'C:\Users\clcook2\Documents\ACM_Lidar_PCD_LAS\tiled_utm_20200731_-1_1-mgrs.pcd'

DATASET INFO:

DATASET: C:\Users\clcook2\Documents\ACM_Lidar_PCD_LAS\tiled_utm_20200731_-1_1-mgrs.pcd

NUMBER OF PARAMETERS: 0

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Chris that looks like a bug, the format is licensed.  Please log a support call, we have a couple of options.

I can process your data too if you can share it.  Email me as bharold at esri dot com.

0 Kudos