how to cut a rectangle out of a shape file and have the new rectangle contain only the data for the rectangle

Jump to solution
01-26-2022 03:00 PM
RickCheney
Occasional Contributor III

Hello, I searched for the answer but I was not able to figure this out.  My understanding is that if I "clip" a shapefile, it only changes the view and does not delete the underlying data.  I have a large shapefile and I would like to cut out a rectangular portion of the shape file.  I would like to have a new rectangular shapefile that has a smaller file size and contains only the data for the new shape file.

Am I wrong about clipping?  Is there a way to clip that also clips the data?  Or do I use some other method?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

clip

Clip (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

makes a new file containing the geometry from the file being clipped in the shape of the clipping file.

The help files have other descriptions of clip and other clipping functions if you want to explore further.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

clip

Clip (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

makes a new file containing the geometry from the file being clipped in the shape of the clipping file.

The help files have other descriptions of clip and other clipping functions if you want to explore further.

... sort of retired...
HuubZwart
Occasional Contributor

Yes, clip will do what you need. The image in the documentation shows it best I find. It doesn't change the input data though, but actually outputs a new dataset with the portion of the input data that overlaps the clipping feature.

RickCheney
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you so much!   I was reading this: "You can visually clip the layers in a map to highlight an area of interest without altering data. You specify either a rectangular extent or a shape derived from features or graphics, and your map draws only within that extent or shape. You can clip all the layers in the map, or just a subset.

Clipping affects drawing only. All the data is still available for query or analysis, if applicable."

Which is from this link:  Clips layers in a map 

And I misunderstood or didn't read it carefully enough.  I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos