How to create an inset map independent of main map frame

Jump to solution
02-13-2021 02:09 PM
Labels (1)
Cheriejn
New Contributor II

Hi! I have been trying to create a map in arc gis pro and I want to add an inset map with extent indicators only. Every time I try to add a new map frame it automatically includes all the layers open on my main map frame. I can add the extent indicator just fine, but I can't figure out how to remove the layers on the inset map without removing them on the main map.  I am not sure what I've been doing wrong and could really use some advice. I haven't been able to find anything online that has helped. >_< 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ah yes sorry, I think if you create a 'New Map' (top left corner for me), then insert that new map into the layout it will then stop being linked.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Both map layouts and layers of each map are listed in the table of contents (left hand pane) right? Can you just expand the mapframe dropdown in the TOC right-click and remove them?

0 Kudos
Cheriejn
New Contributor II

Hi David! When I expand the mapframe dropdown menu and deselect the layers or attempt to remove them it removes those layers on both mapframes. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ah yes sorry, I think if you create a 'New Map' (top left corner for me), then insert that new map into the layout it will then stop being linked.

Cheriejn
New Contributor II

Yes that was it!  I needed to create a new blank map and use that as my map frame for my inset map. I thought using the default map would have allowed my to edit it separately from my main map, but that wasn't working. 🙂 thank you!