How to combine rasters without losing any extent

Jump to solution
02-06-2018 07:38 AM
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I would like to add together the values of two rasters to get a new raster with combined values for each cell. There are a few areas where the rasters do not overlap and I would like for the values to be retained from one of the two rasters in areas where only one raster has values. Currently, when I use the raster calculator to add these two rasters together, the areas where there is no overlap are dropped from the result of the new raster. 

Any help appreciated.

b

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

use the CellStatistics tool and pay particular attention to the ignore_nodata parameter and specify the extent in the environment = MAXOF

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I believe you can do this by employing the Environments settings. 

(Caveat - this works with ArcGIS Desktop with the Spatial Analyst Extension.  I am not sure how ArcGIS Pro would handle this, as I don't have a copy of that).

1.  When in Raster Calculator, hit the Environments button on the bottom.

2.  Click on Processing Extent on the left to expand it.

3.  In the Extent setting, for what you want it sounds like  "Union of Inputs" would be the choice.  However, check the other types to see if a different one would better suit your needs.

4.  Then hit OK and go ahead with combining the rasters in Raster Calculator.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

use the CellStatistics tool and pay particular attention to the ignore_nodata parameter and specify the extent in the environment = MAXOF

BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Steve, this worked perfect for my situation. Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
MuthannaManeyapandaAppaiah
New Contributor

Thank YOU!

0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris, I wish I could get this to work in the raster calculator because it would save me the step that Steve provided below but I have been unable to get union of inputs, display extent or selection of the data layer with the full extent to work. Maybe there is a different operator necessary in the calculator that would be the equivalent of the ignore nodata param in the cell statistics tool?

0 Kudos