How to clean up vertices on a line

Jump to solution
09-21-2021 03:48 AM
AshleyPattersonTheMapNERD
New Contributor III

Hi Friends,

I am going in circles with this and it's a real head-scratcher for me.  My boss doesn't enjoy lines with a lot of vertices left and he wants me to clean them up but I have been unsuccessful thus far. 

In this example of my work, I am drawing in sidewalks in a Cul de sac and following the aerials.  That means that the lines are not perfectly circular so using those drawing options and the Cul de sac tools are not options. Following the terrain results in vertices left in the line. I have tried every tool on the internet y'all and I need your help.  

Vertex Question  for ESRI.JPG

When I use the Delete Veretex tool- it deletes the vertex alright- but then the line Boings out. (There are unfortunately no Boing sound effects).

Vertex Question  for ESRI Post Delete Vertex.JPG

As you can see that doesn't work.  I have tried every trick on the internet so dig deep friends and give me something solid that you know that the internet doesn't?

H-E-L-P 

Thanks a whole bunch Y'all!

From, Ashley the Map Nerd 

The Map NERD
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

If time/money is a constraint, I also think what you have digitized is close enough.  However, if you do have a chance to replace the circular part with a true curve, it would look better and with fewer vertices in the data.

The driveways might have interrupted your seeing the perfect circle. Here I took your image and drew a red circle over the cul-de-sac. Now you can see how well the circle fits the shape, including driveway crossings. So, it can be a true curve with the two vertices (at the blue squares roughly) in geodatabase. 🙂

DanLee_1-1632237374206.png

View solution in original post

13 Replies
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Try using the cul-des-sac tool, or the end point arc tool.  There are a couple other curve tools that may be useful.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/create-a-cul-de-sac.htm

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/create-arc-segments-and-curves.htm

Note:  If I am not mistaken shapefiles do not store true arcs.  You may want to consider using file geodatabases.

New Contributor III

Thank you for your detailed reply and your kindness in being so thorough.

Unfortunately, 

I have tried those tools. The problem with the Cul de sac tool was that the linework follows the true terrain from aerials. The tool makes a nice circular line but in the real world, it is not a perfect circle.  I also tried the endpoint arc tool the issue there being that I really was trying to not redraw everything. I suppose if I have to I will. Ultimately it will be up to my boss to decide how much time he would like me to spend on this or if he is ok with the vertices staying.  

I am relatively new to the GIS community - is it common to remove the vertices after drawing in work?

The Map NERD
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

If there were extra vertices on lines with the same bearing I might be tempted to get rid of them, but only if I was incredibly bored.  Those curves need start and end vertices.  Maybe get your boss an introduction to GIS guide or something. 

New Contributor III

Ha-ha (belly laughing)!

You made my morning my friend! Thank you.  I was just asking the reply above yours if this is common- I am relatively new to the GIS community and was wondering if this is a common request.  I come from a business background and always have this "Time is money" mindset.  I am always trying to earn my way and be as efficient as possible. I really appreciate the tips  😉

The Map NERD
0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@AshleyPattersonTheMapNERD

It seems like that segment should be a circular arc instead of a line. While editing vertices, try using the Change Segment command to change it to a circular arc and then drag the segment to change the radius to match the rest of the data. Here's a visual:

changesegment.gif

Does that help?

-Scott

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

But thanks a whole bunch and for adding the visual that really helps!

The Map NERD
0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Hey Scott - thanks! It doesn't really jive with my particular situation because I am following the terrain from aerials so sometimes I do use circular arcs and then it transitions to a line (does that even make sense I am not sure). It's not pretty I was in a rush but like this- (shyly and embarrassed to show you) 

example for esri.JPG

The Map NERD
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I would agree with some of the other comments. Why bother?  They look fine the way they are.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Oh, THANK YOU ROBERT. I was losing my mind trying to figure this out but also trying to understand why we would need to. Thanks buddy, you made my morning! 

The Map NERD
0 Kudos