How to average climate data in a Raster- Dataset?

05-22-2019 03:04 AM
LeonhardH_
New Contributor

Hello,

I am utterly new to ArcGIS Pro.

I downloaded monthly precipitation data, in the GRIB- format, from 1979 - present.

It was possible for me to create a Raster- Dataset and it shows me now the different values with a color gradient and a time dimension.

But what I need to do is averaging the data that ist shown every month over the 40 years,

so I can see the mean monthly precipitation in one view that contains the last 40 years.

I would be glad if someone is able to help me.

Thanks

Leonhard

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Are you able to use the Cell Statistics function to calculate the mean of the multiple time layers? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/imagery/cell-statistics-function.htm

0 Kudos
LeonhardH_
New Contributor

Yes I already did it, but are you sure that it calculates the mean over the time dimension?

What would you think of the Space-Time-Cube, but I didnt suceed with it?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are the data daily values? for 40 years? and you want monthly values by year?

Are your data an array stack? or single rasters?

0 Kudos
LeonhardH_
New Contributor

It is already averaged monthly data and I want the average for 40 years.

The data is in one GRIB- file so I would say single rasters.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

cell statistics will give you the average.  It is location based, so each cell will receive the chosen statistic for the time period you specify.  In this case, it will yield a 40 year average of your monthly averages.  If you want to isolate particular months prior to averaging, then this will have to be done as a separate operation prior to cell statistics.

0 Kudos
LeonhardH_
New Contributor

I guess there is just one Raster (TP@SFC).

And in the blue map you see the data for the first month (I can use the time slider). When I carry it out, the blue map doesn`t really change. 

0 Kudos
LeonhardH_
New Contributor

I think that this is the problem:

If a single raster is used as the input for maximum, minimum, mean, median, majority, minority, or sum, the output pixel values will be the same as the input pixel values.

0 Kudos