How does the 'Contour' raster function adaptive smoothing parameter work?

01-31-2022 01:19 AM
MattHowe
Occasional Contributor

I would like to use the contour raster function in a script to allow users to create smoothed contours without the need of having to enter a smoothing tolerance as a parameter and ultimately end up running multiple executions of the tool to get the desired result. 

I don't think it's possible but my first question would be; can a raster function like the one for contours be used in a Python script? If this isn't possible, I'd like to discover how the adaptive smoothing parameter works in the contour raster function. Can this be replicated in a similar geoprocessing tool such as focal statistics? I've used the latter tool previously but the resultant contours aren't as good as the ones created using the contour raster function (where the contour type parameter is set to 'Smooth surface only' to generate a temporary raster to run the contour tool on.)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I'll preference my comment with I'm not a Python developer/scripter but found this link here that lists the python code for the contour raster function.  It's a start certainly but I'd be curious what others say.

0 Kudos