Mark_Hotz
Occasional Contributor II

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mark_Hotz

Thomas:

Solved.  You were partly correct...there was an issue with the certificate when using ArcGIS Pro (even though this is not noticeable when using ArcMap).  However, only the error message was noticed and it didn't seem to affect anything else.  However, it is definitely something that I want to see fixed though as I loathe certificate errors :-).

There were two issues that have been rectified:

1)  In the IIS Manager for portal the Windows Authentication and Anonymous login were both turned on. This by itself is believed to have confused ArcGIS Pro (it had zero affect on ArcMap though).  However, this setting was deliberate because we originally had issues publishing from ArcMap and believe it or not having both turned on fixed this problem (i.e. with IWA turned on I could publish, but not when it was turned off - if Anonymous was turned off users could not log-in).  But that publishing error was eventually fixed in ArcCatalog by connecting to Portal as a different administrative user (i.e. me, and not portaladmin).

2)  My ArcGIS Pro was acquired a few months ago and I almost had it working for publishing map services, but our ArcGIS Server and Portal were not yet federated.  However, there were a lot of changes to our system as we were configuring it for IWA, so when we finally got Portal working properly what I did not realize is that all of the paths to our servers that were initially added to ArcGIS Pro were not yet updated; hence, ArcGIS Pro had no idea where anything was...the paths were all wrong.

All of this has been fixed and publishing a map service has been successfully tested using ArcGIS Pro.  I'm now good to go.

Pretty silly and simple fixes...I had no idea that I forgot to update so much.  Good lesson for sure. 

In any case, thanks for your feedback as it did get me thinking about alternative solutions...including getting that certificate fixed.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor

Your portal user is level 2 user?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

You will have to provide more (many more) details about your Portal configuration. Are you publishing a hosted feature service to the data store, a service to a federated server? From the screen shot, it appears as though you have been publishing directly to the GIS server in Arc Map, sadly, Pro does not allow you to publish to un-federated servers ArcGIS Pro Publish Services To ArcGIS Server. If the server is federated, is it federated with fine-grained permissions and you are not a member of the publishing group in portal? What version of Ptl, Server, SQL Database type and version?

0 Kudos
Mark_Hotz

Thomas:

Thanks for the feedback...most appreciated.  I have not yet installed the data store, but our ArcGIS Server and Portal are federated; hence, I have been publishing directly from ArcMap to our Portal.  I am the Portal administrator so I guess that makes me a member of the publishing group.

Our ArcGIS Server and Portal were recently upgraded to version 10.6 (including ArcGIS Desktop), and my ArcGIS Pro has been upgraded to 2.2.  The SQL Server version I'm using is whatever came with version 10.6.

I just find it odd that I can connect to our geodatabase and Portal through ArcGIS Pro, but for some reason I get permission issues with publishing...but only from ArcGIS Pro (I can still publish from ArcMap).

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Can you create another user in Portal, put them in the publishing group associated with that server, log in as that user, same error? If so, you have a federation issue related to trust that I think will need to be solved by tech support, since I suspect it involves SSL cert issues. 

0 Kudos
Mark_Hotz

Thomas:

Thanks again for the feedback.  I'm the only one using ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro.  However, you have given me some fuel for thought, and I have to revisit other permissions around ArcGIS Server and Portal.  The part that confuses me though is that I'm still able to publish from ArcGIS Desktop...just not in ArcGIS Pro.

Thanks again...I'll approach this from your angle and see where it leads.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Look at this way: in Pro, you're not publishing to your server: you're publishing to Portal, which stores the service on your server for you. This is a very different authentication "pipes and levers" workflow versus publishing from Arc, which is why I suspect a cert issue. Another test is, can you publish a hosted feature service? If so, then 100% a federation issue. 

0 Kudos
Mark_Hotz

Thomas:

OK...I will start testing this and bring in our IT team to review the SSL certificate.  It sounds like a reasonably simple fix as everything else seems to be working in Pro.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Mark_Hotz

Thomas:

Solved.  You were partly correct...there was an issue with the certificate when using ArcGIS Pro (even though this is not noticeable when using ArcMap).  However, only the error message was noticed and it didn't seem to affect anything else.  However, it is definitely something that I want to see fixed though as I loathe certificate errors :-).

There were two issues that have been rectified:

1)  In the IIS Manager for portal the Windows Authentication and Anonymous login were both turned on. This by itself is believed to have confused ArcGIS Pro (it had zero affect on ArcMap though).  However, this setting was deliberate because we originally had issues publishing from ArcMap and believe it or not having both turned on fixed this problem (i.e. with IWA turned on I could publish, but not when it was turned off - if Anonymous was turned off users could not log-in).  But that publishing error was eventually fixed in ArcCatalog by connecting to Portal as a different administrative user (i.e. me, and not portaladmin).

2)  My ArcGIS Pro was acquired a few months ago and I almost had it working for publishing map services, but our ArcGIS Server and Portal were not yet federated.  However, there were a lot of changes to our system as we were configuring it for IWA, so when we finally got Portal working properly what I did not realize is that all of the paths to our servers that were initially added to ArcGIS Pro were not yet updated; hence, ArcGIS Pro had no idea where anything was...the paths were all wrong.

All of this has been fixed and publishing a map service has been successfully tested using ArcGIS Pro.  I'm now good to go.

Pretty silly and simple fixes...I had no idea that I forgot to update so much.  Good lesson for sure. 

In any case, thanks for your feedback as it did get me thinking about alternative solutions...including getting that certificate fixed.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Make sure to mark your own answer as correct, so you can be 50 points closer to MVP at the UC.....

0 Kudos