How do you import company logo png files and lat longs from Excel into ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
09-29-2021 01:58 PM
DavidZiegler
New Contributor III

I am trying to import lat/longs with a matching company logo (png file) into ArcGIS Pro. Can you tell me how do this? Thank you!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given a text file like the following, just import the file and let it place your points based on the lat/lon values. using the XY Table to Point tool.

LatLonCompanyLogo URL
-40.588Company 1somewebsite.com/image.png
-4382Company 2

somewebsite.com/image2.png

You can use the associated URL field to get the logos into a web map / popup / etc.

If you actually want to add the file to your layer, you need to enable attachments and add each of them. Depending on the number of companies in your layer, this could be quite tedious.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given a text file like the following, just import the file and let it place your points based on the lat/lon values. using the XY Table to Point tool.

LatLonCompanyLogo URL
-40.588Company 1somewebsite.com/image.png
-4382Company 2

somewebsite.com/image2.png

You can use the associated URL field to get the logos into a web map / popup / etc.

If you actually want to add the file to your layer, you need to enable attachments and add each of them. Depending on the number of companies in your layer, this could be quite tedious.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DavidZiegler
New Contributor III

I am just afraid the Logo URLs will change, or be unreliable. 

Q: So when you do the initial URL to XY point load--does ArcGIS convert the URL image to something more permanent? 

I take it that ArcGIS cannot simple pull in pictures from Excel column cells? 

(Thank you so much for responding) 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not to my knowledge, but I've never tried it.

If you move your table to a geodatabase first and have all the logos in a folder, Add Attachments could easily get this done for you. You would then be able to publish the layer to AGOL / Portal, if desired, and it should retain the attachments.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS