How do you identify a title element in ArcGIS Pro layouts?

11-19-2018 01:56 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I used this in ArcGIS Desktop: <dyn type="document" property="title"/>, but since there are many layouts per project in ArcGIS Pro, this doesn't work, and there is no "title" property for the layout element.

I am trying to dynamically set up text that a printer service will recognize as the title of the document when printing. The print service that I have published does not know what the title is and ignores what I enter as the title in the popup window.

Entered Title:

Text that I want to be the title did not update:

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I decided to try this:

<dyn type="document" property="title"/>

and it worked!

I should have tried before posting this question 😕

I just didn't think it would work....

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sigh. It only works with one layout. There are 8 layouts, and only a single layout will update it's title with user input. The text is actually:

<dyn type="layout" property="title"/> (not "dyn type="document")

It is identical for all layouts, but only one layout updates this text block with user input when the print widget is run.

It is the first layout that appears alphabetically in the layouts folder, so I'm wondering if there's a bug that just updates the first layout found in the folder?

Real head scratcher. 

This works perfectly fine with ArcMap,by the way.

Thanks

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This should be the final word on this. I believe I've (finally!) figured it out. The reason it took so long was that there was a text element I did not know about in only 1 of the 16 layouts. This is the layout that worked. I entered hard text into the text element that I thought was the title element, and it printed on top of the correct title, indicating that two text elements exist in this location

I hunted down the text element that was working correctly. This is the dynamic text for that one:

<dyn type="layout" property="metadata" attribute="title"/>

I changed all title elements in the layouts to this and they work.

Whew!