How do you calculate a point into decimal degres in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
04-17-2017 08:41 AM
AileenProfir
New Contributor III

I'm trying to use ArcGIS Pro to calculate the lat/long of a point in decimal degrees.  I must not be understanding the help section below.  In the calculate field I enter !SHAPE.FirstPoint.X@decimaldegrees! but it fails because decimaldegrees is not defined...

Usage

• Python expressions can be created using properties from the Geometry object including type, extent, centroid, firstPoint, lastPoint, area, length, isMultipart, and partCount (for example, !shape.area!).

• Python expressions can use the geometry area and length properties with an areal or linear unit to convert the value to a different unit of measure (for example, !shape.length@kilometers!).

• Linear unit of measure keywords:
      • CENTIMETERS | DECIMALDEGREES | DECIMETERS | FEET | INCHES | KILOMETERS | METERS | MILES | MILLIMETERS | NAUTICALMILES | POINTS | UNKNOWN | YARDS
0 Kudos
14 Replies
SeanSummers_CC
New Contributor III

I really appreciate your help.  I tried your tool but it failed and this is what I got:

Start Time: Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:56:42 AM
Running script UpdateLATLONG...
 WARNING 001097: LAT  already exists -- overwriting.
Failed script UpdateLATLONG...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\spsummers\Downloads\CalcGeometryModified\CalcGeometryModified.tbx#UpdateLATLONG_CalcGeometryModified.py", line 387, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\spsummers\Downloads\CalcGeometryModified\CalcGeometryModified.tbx#UpdateLATLONG_CalcGeometryModified.py", line 61, in execute
  File "C:\Users\spsummers\Downloads\CalcGeometryModified\CalcGeometryModified.tbx#UpdateLATLONG_CalcGeometryModified.py", line 313, in CreateOutputFields
RuntimeError: Table is already locked [Table is already locked[gis.GISDB.AddressPoints.LONG]]
Failed to execute (UpdateLATLONG).
Failed at Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:58:06 AM (Elapsed Time: 1 minutes 24 seconds)

I know some very basic python but this is a little over my head. 

0 Kudos
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III

Since you are working in an Enterprise Geodatabase Environment it is hard to tell why this is locked. It lockes when trying to create the fields - even if this is a process that accepts existing fields. I can make another modification - and remove the ATTEMPT to create the fields as they are never actually need to be added - I've updated the attachement above. I left the warning for existing fields in there but added a counter-message that tells you how many records are updated. Keep in mind: I only check for the LAT field being NULL ... if so - record is updated .... I renamed the UI-selection to be POINT_LAT_LONG only to reflect more what you do ... hope it works for you - then you owe me a beer 🙂 and some points here 🙂

SeanSummers_CC
New Contributor III

That is some impressive script wizardry!  It worked and did what I needed.  Thank you so much!  I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

0 Kudos
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III

Glad I could help. Never doubt ArcGIS can do it 🙂

0 Kudos
MandiraPhuyal
New Contributor II

Hi Gunter Dorffel:

I have a same problem that is mentioned in here, I need to calculate and update the existing X, Y, Z fields in the .sde layers but I don't want to add additional fields. Would you mind to send me your working script please if you have available. The one you shared here does not work any more. I would heartily appreciate your support. Thank you so much. 

0 Kudos