How do you add data to a map?!!!

Jump to solution
10-01-2014 09:25 AM
KevinBell
Occasional Contributor III

I previously made an sde connection, and now I can't find it anywhere.  Is there an ArcCatalog type thing hidden there somewhere?  I can only seem to browse to files on my hard drive.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AletaVienneau
Esri Contributor

Can you confirm that you added a map to a project? If the only context menu option that is available to you is the "Add to New Map" option that is disabled, then you either don't have a map in your project, or a map is present but not open. On the Insert tab on the ribbon, click New Map. This will add a new map to the project and open it. Then you can drag/drop a feature class to a map, or right-click it and click "Add to Current Map". The "Add to New Map" option is not working right now, so it will always be present but disabled at PreRelease.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JenniferKuntz
New Contributor III

Hi Kevin. There is a Project Pane in Pro that is similar to the Catalog Window in ArcMap. You can open it by going to the View Tab and clicking Project. The little arrow below Project will also let you open Project View which is pretty similar to the Pane, but larger and has a little more functionality.

0 Kudos
KevinBell

ok, found the project pane, opened sde and tried to drag a feature class into the map, but nothing is added. 

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

you won't be able to drag the whole feature dataset into the map - only individual feature classes.  there's also a right-click "Add to Map" option.

0 Kudos
KevinBell

right click/ add to map is greyed out.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Let me ping someone from content management, they will want to talk to you about this and perhaps get a repro case .

0 Kudos
AletaVienneau
Esri Contributor

Can you confirm that you added a map to a project? If the only context menu option that is available to you is the "Add to New Map" option that is disabled, then you either don't have a map in your project, or a map is present but not open. On the Insert tab on the ribbon, click New Map. This will add a new map to the project and open it. Then you can drag/drop a feature class to a map, or right-click it and click "Add to Current Map". The "Add to New Map" option is not working right now, so it will always be present but disabled at PreRelease.

KevinBell

thanks!  I'd added a layout, but not a map... 

0 Kudos