How do right align legend labels in ArcPro?

Jump to solution
11-14-2017 07:07 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

All,

I am using ArcPro 2.0.1 to construct a Layout.

I have created a layer called cluster group which has 5 symbols, the first and last symbol have longer labels as shown in the image. I have selected this item in the legend in the TOC, gone to properties of labels and clicked on right justify as shown below. I would have expected all labels to justify right.

What am I doing wrong?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Xander and Duncan Hornby

We have [BUG-000096166: In ArcGIS Pro, legend elements in the layout are unable to adjust to the settings for the Horizontal Alignment, Vertical Alignment, Offset X, and Offset Y Position properties and do not move as expected when clicking the Apply button] logged.

I'm checking in with that team now to see if there is anything more to share at the moment in terms of status.  It is currently marked as assigned.

The workaround would be to convert to graphics and align... hopefully another update soon.

Cheers

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

See if this approach behaves differently in isolation or in combination

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Had a go at your suggestion and it did not work. I'm fast coming to the conclusion its some sort of bug and nothing I am doing is changing the horizontal position of the labels within the legend. In fact if I choose any label, say header or layer and try to change the horizontal alignment nothing happens. I can change their colour so I know I'm point to right part of the legend. Searching the online help and I discover nothing about horizontal alignment for LEGEND labels. It's as if they have created the buttons but not put any functionality behind them?

Of cause I could convert it to a graphic but I want to avoid that as then it becomes detached from the layer.

Kory Kramer‌ you are the ArcGIS Pro Guru, any ideas?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So you want more than just the rearrangement of the pieces, it appears you want the whole thing aligned to the right side.

Nope... no setting there, you can order the pieces so that the labels are on the left, middle or right, but I have had no success in getting a big shove to the right of the box at all.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Just wondering, what kind of result are you trying to achieve?

This  or perhaps this  ?

It seems that some setting do not have effect. I also wasn't able to change the alignment of the text. Although the preview below the setting shows the effect, nothing happened in the legend. I even changed the internationalization setting to "right to left" and that didn't do anything either. 

You may want to consider opening a support case and to see if this is a bug.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Xander and Duncan Hornby

We have [BUG-000096166: In ArcGIS Pro, legend elements in the layout are unable to adjust to the settings for the Horizontal Alignment, Vertical Alignment, Offset X, and Offset Y Position properties and do not move as expected when clicking the Apply button] logged.

I'm checking in with that team now to see if there is anything more to share at the moment in terms of status.  It is currently marked as assigned.

The workaround would be to convert to graphics and align... hopefully another update soon.

Cheers

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Xander,

I was expecting your left hand image. District Municipality is another layer so should not be justified. It was just the cluster layer I was trying to realign labels with. As Kory indicated it is an existing bug.

Thanks for the feedback.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Duncan Hornby‌ and Xander Bakker‌.

It looks like the item alignment works in conjunction with word wrapping.  So when I haven't enabled Word wrapping, for example on Labels, when I align labels to the right, nothing happens.

When I switch over to Legend > Word wrapping and enable it on Labels:

Give that a try and let me know if it works for you.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Interesting! That setting does seem to have effect:

However, I still don't understand why the numbers remain left and the <all other values> moves to the right...

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I've tried this approach and can indeed now get the labels to justify right.  I don't know if this a design flaw or a bug? It is a very odd approach that you have to turn on word wrapping and set the width (Xander Bakker I'm guessing that is why your numbers still remained left as they are below the defined width size) so justification can work. This is not intuitive and I'm pretty sure not documented! I still personally see this as a bug, so I will leave your original reply marked as correct.

0 Kudos