How do i turn on the legend for base map

Jump to solution
08-18-2016 07:35 PM
NikhilAgarwal
New Contributor

I am using the "street map" base map. I want to show the existing featues in this basemap i.e highway and minor roads. How do I show turn  on the legend for this?

I am trying to do this on arcgis pro

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The StreetMap basemap is a tiled service. You can not have its description in the legend. You can only do it for dynamic layers.

Think Location

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a screen grab of the layer's table of contents would help to ascertain whether the layer indeed does have a legend or whether it is rendered solely as an image

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The StreetMap basemap is a tiled service. You can not have its description in the legend. You can only do it for dynamic layers.

Think Location
NikhilAgarwal
New Contributor

Is it not possible to make a automatic legend for the base maps? I wanted a legend to show the features of the strett base map. 

Any suggestions and recommendations to achieve this would be very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You would have to create your own layers showing the features that you want, probably in vector form.  Is it street names? what are you trying to show that isn't readily acertained from the basemap?  Remember it is just that... a basemap... a reference... upon which one can display the information that is being mapped

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Nikhil,

Street maps are cached map/ Tile service which converted to pixel.

In that you can't edit properties of it.

If you really want to do then use  

Please use your own data to create base map services and use it as you like.

Just my understanding!

Thanks