How do I turn off auto-convert in the Distance tool?

09-10-2018 01:26 PM
CheyneHadley
New Contributor III

Since 2.2 the ArcGIS Pro Distance tool automatically converts when you change the unit.  This is horribly annoying.  How can I change it?

I don't want to change the number, I want to change the unit.  Changing how this tool works was a poor decision.

Distance auto-convert

arcgispro 2.2. distance‌ bad design‌ #help please#need fix

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Kory Kramer‌ this might be too small to post as an idea... maybe you have a work-around or a comment because I don't know where this is appearing

0 Kudos
JohnJones
Esri Contributor

I don't think its too small to post as an idea. I believe we will need to solicit user feedback and add an optional setting as to whether or not changing the unit should keep the same distance (in the new unit) or keep the same number (interpreted differently in the same unit) rather than changing the current behavior.  I see reasonable use cases for both.  The question becomes more of a matter of priority, for which Ideas is helpful in determining how important this is for our users.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I believe the existing functionality as it works in Arc is all the feedback you need. Why was it changed? Was it broken? Is there an idea with hundreds of votes that resulted in the change?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So Cheyne... back to you... post it as an 'idea' on ArcGIS Ideas‌ is you need to work in Imperial and Metric units

0 Kudos
CheyneHadley
New Contributor III

Dan Patterson John Jones Thank you for the advice.  I've made a post in Ideas.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/15542