How do I stop the legend text size from changing when switching maps in a layout?

03-26-2020 05:16 AM
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III

When I switched maps in a layout, how do I stop the legend text size from changing? Same applies to patches.

They seem to revert to the default. If there a setting within the map itself that governs this or is it just the why ESRI designed the software to work?

I'm hoping there is a solution because it's annoying.

interestingly the text wrapping value persists and doesn't change.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tim, 

When you switch maps are there more, or less layers that the updated legend now has to accommodate?  What is the fitting strategy for the legend? If the fitting strategy is such that font size is to be adjusted and the layers in the new map that the legend is pointing to are not the same, then it is expected that the font size may change - as the fitting strategy implies.

If you are unfamiliar with the fitting strategies please see Work with a legend—Layouts | Documentation fro more information.

If you want the font size to remain constant I would recommend using Adjust frame, or Adjust columns depending on which direction, vertical or horizontal, that you want your legend to flow as items (layers in the map) are added or removed.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos
RavenSchmidt
New Contributor III

Hi. I have a similar Problem that I am unable so solve for about forever.

I want to create a dynamic Layout, that I can juse for most maps and do not have to adjust every time. Since ArcGIS does not offer the possibility to add a text field with a decent looking background that adjusts to the title of the Layout I integrated the title into the legend. 

RavenSchmidt_0-1704552782043.png

The idea is, that the legend grows upwards when stuff is added...

RavenSchmidt_1-1704552863428.png

Buuuuuuuut, if it turns out that if the title gets to short... the legend shrinks in width.

RavenSchmidt_2-1704553011321.png

This was probably my 100th attempt to solve this problem. None of the different fitting strategies have any (good) effect on this. Is there some workaround that I am missing? I cannot believe there is no solution to make automated map produktion not look like they are from 1950 or having to dial in everything by hand...
I would really appreciate some help with this.

0 Kudos