How do I select a familiar language in Expression Builder?

Jump to solution
10-25-2018 11:15 AM
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

Since I need to do work rather than learn a new, proprietary, flavor-of-the-release language, I'd like for "Python" to be available in this drop-down list.  Is there a setting somewhere backstage or elsewhere that gets me a commonly used, familiar language rather than Esri's new internal-ArcGIS-platform-only language?  Specifically, I'm in Layer Properties > Display > Display field > set an expression.

Thanks for any pointers. 

tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Based on the feedback here, I've logged the following Enhancement Request for ArcGIS Pro:

[ENH-000117753 Display expressions for layers in ArcGIS Pro should support other scripting languages.]

Feel free to call Esri Support at 888-377-4575 to have a case attached to the ENH.

-Scott

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tim,

This isn't currently possible. I'm guessing Arcade is the default here because the expressions are cross-platform, and will work in Portal and ArcGIS Online. If you need Python as a option, you can submit an Idea here: ArcGIS Ideas 

-Scott

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Also, if you need help building an expression, perhaps you can post your requirements here, and someone can provide some assistance. Also see this FAQ for more on why Arcade (this link also can get you to the Guide for Arcade):

https://developers.arcgis.com/arcade/guide/faq/

0 Kudos
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for your input and support, Scott Harris.  Since I didn't find any clear, concise expression examples for concatenating the values of two columns in the help documentation, I simply didn't do it.  I ended up back in ArcMap, where it was quick and easy.  The clock was ticking...

tim

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would suggest it is an omission.  Why would you have to use arcade for expressions if you only work in ArcGIS Pro.  multiplatform or not, the option should be available for all languages that Pro uses

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Based on the feedback here, I've logged the following Enhancement Request for ArcGIS Pro:

[ENH-000117753 Display expressions for layers in ArcGIS Pro should support other scripting languages.]

Feel free to call Esri Support at 888-377-4575 to have a case attached to the ENH.

-Scott