How do I remove headings from the legend in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
03-04-2015 06:39 AM
deleted-user-ansFH4hWCMNC
New Contributor II

Does anyone know how I can remove the headings from the legend in ArcGIS Pro? Each layer in the legend can have headings, labels, patches, and descriptions - I just want the patches and labels, not the headings. It seems really simple, but I can't find a button for it or mention of it in the help. I'm not talking about the legend title that is usually something like "Legend". Thanks for your help!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

You can also just turn the heading (and other text) off in the legend without deleting it from the symbology.

To do that follow these steps:

1. Expand the legend in the Contents pane

2. Select the legend item or items you want to edit

3. Open the Properties pane if it's not already open (you can open it by right-clicking on a selected legend item in the Contents pane and choosing Properties from the context menu)

4. In the Properties pane, under the "Show" section, toggle checkmarks to toggle visibility of the various legend texts

View solution in original post

12 Replies
New Contributor II

It's in the symbology properties of the layer. Right click the layer in the TOC, click 'symbology', then delete the text that you don't want in the legend.

DavidBarnes

You can also just turn the heading (and other text) off in the legend without deleting it from the symbology.

To do that follow these steps:

1. Expand the legend in the Contents pane

2. Select the legend item or items you want to edit

3. Open the Properties pane if it's not already open (you can open it by right-clicking on a selected legend item in the Contents pane and choosing Properties from the context menu)

4. In the Properties pane, under the "Show" section, toggle checkmarks to toggle visibility of the various legend texts

New Contributor II

Hi David,

Thanks for your feedback - it sounds like exactly what I'm trying to do. Where is the show section? I've included a screen shot of the properties pane.

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

Sorry, Thomas, I don't see a screenshot.

Make sure you have a legend item selected in the Contents pane, not the legend itself. The "Show" section should be easy to spot in the upper half f the legend item Properties pane. You should see 4 checkboxes with the words for each kind of legend text next to each checkbox.

New Contributor II

Hi David, I'm using ArcGIS Pro 1.0.0. Do you mean ArcGIS Desktop? I just starting using Pro recently, I know exactly where to find what you are talking about in Desktop but I'm really struggling to find it in Pro.

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

Hi Thomas, I'm talking about Pro as well.

1. In the Contents pane in a layout view, expand the legend so you can see the items within the legend

2. Select a legend item inside the legend in the Contents pane

3. Right-click on the legend item in the Contents pane and choose Properties

4. In the Properties pane, at the top, it should say Element; below that should be the legend name, colon, legend item name; below that it should say Properties | Text Symbol. Make sure Properties is selected; directly below that it should say Show with the checkboxes below that.

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Thanks David! I didn't realize I could access the legend from the contents pane, thanks for being patient and making that clear to me. It doesn't make sense that you can access the legend from multiple places with different functionality, but it's simple enough to remember. It would be great if this could be added to the help page. Otherwise ArcGIS Pro seems great and easy to learn, and it really does run faster than Desktop.

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

Yes, the contextual ribbons and panes take some getting used to, but once you do they can offer lots of functionality without lots of toolbars open at once and without multiple levels of property dialogs you have to OK out of. I'll talk to our documentation team.

The product is always evolving, and input from users like you is key!

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

OK. I see your screenshot now.

What your showing is the layer properties, not the legend item properties. Make sure you go to the legend in the Contents pane, not the map, and make sure you select a legend item within the legend, not a layer in a map.

0 Kudos