How do I get rid of an outlier in an enriched group?

Jump to solution
01-31-2023 09:05 AM
Labels (2)
junocs
by
New Contributor II

I have a layer of blocks in New York City that I have enriched with census data to display the percent of 16-year-olds in the population. However, there are some obvious outliers: very very large blocks with only a few people living in them, and so a large percentage of 16-year-olds even if there's only one 16-year old.

How do I get rid of these outliers, and make them the color of their surroundings?

Screenshot (327).png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I was able to download the *.lyrx but without the data, it doesn't help me much.  What I did do was add the USA_Block_Groups from ArcGIS Online and used the attributes from that feature layer to mimic what I think you should try.  For Graduated Colors, I'm using the field - AGE_15_19 and normalizing on POP2010.  This gives me a better % for 16 year olds compared to the block population.  See below.

percent16_NYC.JPG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Is it possible to share a sample of the data so that I may work on it to determine a solution for you?

0 Kudos
junocs
by
New Contributor II

Thanks!

I can't seem to get the actual data out of arcgis, but I have a layer file here. The very last columns show the main data that I used.

Basically, my process was to get the USA_Block_Groups layer from Living Atlas, clip it with a random NYC boundaries map I found on arcgis online, and then enrich it with census data (focusing on the amount of 4-year-olds in the 2010 census).

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I was able to download the *.lyrx but without the data, it doesn't help me much.  What I did do was add the USA_Block_Groups from ArcGIS Online and used the attributes from that feature layer to mimic what I think you should try.  For Graduated Colors, I'm using the field - AGE_15_19 and normalizing on POP2010.  This gives me a better % for 16 year olds compared to the block population.  See below.

percent16_NYC.JPG

0 Kudos
junocs
by
New Contributor II

Thank you so much! I'll try that now

0 Kudos