How do I change ArcGIS Pro's default browser in the pop-up from IE to Chrome?

Jump to solution
12-21-2015 04:54 PM
AdamInglis1
Occasional Contributor

When I configure my pop-ups with links or images the default browser is set to IE.  My system default browser is Chrome and I'd like to set ArcGIS Pro to use Chrome as well.  Is this possible?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Adam,

There is currently no way to do this. In ArcGIS Pro we use the WebBrowser control provided by Microsoft to display the html associated with the pop-up. This control is basically a wrapper around internet explorer so when you click a link it is equivalent to clicking a link in internet explorer which opens a new window/tab in internet explorer. Similar to how clicking a link in Chrome would open a new tab/window in Chrome. It looks like there are some extensions to Chrome and Firefox out there that add options to open links in different browsers but I didn't find anything like this for Internet Explorer.

Regards,

-Chris

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Adam,

There is currently no way to do this. In ArcGIS Pro we use the WebBrowser control provided by Microsoft to display the html associated with the pop-up. This control is basically a wrapper around internet explorer so when you click a link it is equivalent to clicking a link in internet explorer which opens a new window/tab in internet explorer. Similar to how clicking a link in Chrome would open a new tab/window in Chrome. It looks like there are some extensions to Chrome and Firefox out there that add options to open links in different browsers but I didn't find anything like this for Internet Explorer.

Regards,

-Chris

MatthewCallahan1
New Contributor II

Why is it using a WebBrowser class here?  It's a one liner to open a url with the system default browser:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("http://my-url.com");
Burnski
New Contributor II

Hi Chris,

Has this changed in the intervening years? And if so, where can I change this? Currently, it's mapped to Edge and I'd like to change it to Chrome. Thanks!

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

Please change this behavior.  This is beyond frustrating.  We have URLs in attributes and regardless of our user's default browser AGS Pro opens the links in IE. 

BBulla
by
Occasional Contributor

Agreed...this is beyond lame.  ESRI should not be forcing users to choose one browser over another.  I've been using ArcGIS Pro for about 30 minutes, and I'm ready to go back to ArcGIS Desktop.

DanielMatranga
New Contributor III

2 years later... is there still no way to change the default web browser for links clicked in ArcGIS Pro?

Brownschuh
Occasional Contributor II

3 years later ... 

MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

At this point I assume this is never going to happen.  Just one more roadblock to adopting Pro across the org.