How Do I add a Field to a Raster with no Table?

11-29-2021 04:37 AM
Labels (2)
EricGurney
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm in need of guidance. Are there any links that outline the process of animated kernel density rasters?

Time based raster animations are the staple of great qualitative analysis! You see them on your phone or television (if you watch or look at a weather app) when you see the satellite or radar animation.

It equally useful in detailed raster analysis. So I -

• Created a kernel density layer from points. (no table is produced)
  • Exported a clipped raster into a geodatabase (no table produced)

It was when I searched for "add raster attribute table" that I soon realized, either I'd better join Esri and develop such a thing, or ask my Esri friends and community for help 😉 I chose the latter.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Normally you use

Build Raster Attribute Table (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

but I suspect you have a floating point raster, so....

You cannot build a raster attribute table for a raster dataset that is a pixel type of 32-bit floating point.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
EricGurney
New Contributor II

You're correct Dan. It is a pixel type of 32-bit floating point. Are you aware of any "work-arounds?"

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not without converting the raster to an integer raster.  You can do a

int(raster * 10)  style conversion but you have to remember you scaled the raster up by a factor of 10.  Or export the table to excel, csv etc and scale down there.

If you do an int(raster) you will lose all decimal precision.

Other workarounds entail producing summary tables outside of pro (eg. using numpy) which may not be as easy as the other options mentioned

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Float rasters do not support raster tables, because they would have millions of records and wouldn't be that useful. If you integerized the data you could build a raster attribute table, but I don't think that is what you want.

You want to make bunch of rasters and animate them right? I'd start here.

ArcGIS Pro Help: Animation Basics

0 Kudos