How can I convert a feature class to a .kml file?

Jump to solution
07-22-2022 11:53 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How can I convert a feature class to a .kml file?

The "Layer to KML" tool only outputs KMZs. What am I missing here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

If you open the kmz with Google Earth Pro you can then configure your Google Earth Pro to look the way you want it. Then you can save it as a KML from there. If in fact you actually need to have a kml.

TThe direct answer to the question of is there a way to export a KML rather than a kmz from ArcPro. The answer to that is no, only a kmz

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

A kmz is just a zipped kml. Double click on it with Google Earth Pro and it should open. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This isn't what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to output a .kml file. Is there a way to do that in Pro?

Edited to say it looks like this is a known issue. Anyone landing here should kudo that idea.

0 Kudos
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Like the OP says (and the linked Idea above)... the Layer to KML tool does not output KMLs.

0 Kudos
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

I see your point, but most other viewers will read either, is there a specific purpose that a kml is needed rather than kmz?  Even software such as Civil 3D have a tool named Export KML, but in reality export to KMZ.

0 Kudos
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

If you open the kmz with Google Earth Pro you can then configure your Google Earth Pro to look the way you want it. Then you can save it as a KML from there. If in fact you actually need to have a kml.

TThe direct answer to the question of is there a way to export a KML rather than a kmz from ArcPro. The answer to that is no, only a kmz

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for confirming this. Marked as accepted unless we get some additional feedback. This task is so simple and yet seemingly can't be done so I'm still second guessing myself.

It's kind of ridiculous that

1. The tool does not do what the name explicitly states.

2. This expansive (and expensive) GIS can't handle KMLs. Users need additional software to convert KMZs specifically.

@CarlMorrisonyes, there is specific purpose to work only in KMLs. Moving data between software packages and hardware is a constant time suck due to cases exactly like this. It's true that analysts frequently need to clean and reformat data, but this is unnecessary overhead.

Pedantic Edit: A KMZ is KML - albeit the zipped version with a different extension as Sean noted. This thread refers to the unzipped version with .kml extension.

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

A kmz is just a zipped kml (plus some other optional bits and pieces), you can unzip it and extract the kml. You could automate the unzipping with python and create your own geoprocessing layer to kml tool that actually outputs kml.

So yes there is a way to export a KML rather than a kmz from ArcPro, but you need a small script to run layer to kml then unzip the "doc.kml" file contained in the kmz.

0 Kudos