Select to view content in your preferred language

How can I choose symbology for polygon outline from the built-in line symbology gallery in Pro?

Jump to solution
03-08-2018 07:54 AM
GergelySzalay2
Occasional Contributor

How can I choose symbology for polygon outline from the built-in line symbology gallery in Pro, as it is ArcGIS Desktop. As far as I seen now, if I wanted a composite line symbol for polygon outline, I have to build it by myself from symbol layers.

14 Replies
MervynLotter
Frequent Contributor

Is this not possibly using the Duplicate layer properties under the Structure tab when in Format Polygon Symbol?

Like in this image?

GergelySzalay2
Occasional Contributor

Yes, that possible, but in many cases it requires too much effort. Instead a built-in set of symbols which in addition can be extended by your own symbols makes this much easier.

0 Kudos
jacobkarlin7
New Contributor

You could use the 'Polygon to Line' Geoprocessing tool (under Data Management Tools / Features) to create a new line layer from the outline of the polygon. 

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000007707

0 Kudos
DanielMcIlroy
Frequent Contributor

Still no solution to this? This is infuriating to say the least. Not being able to apply a line style as a polygon outline seems like a colossal oversight to me. Even if the style type has been changed, Pro should be smart enough to convert it as it is essentially the same set of parameters.

This is the type of stuff that not only prevents people from switching to Pro, but hardens people against it's use.

SteveCole
Honored Contributor

Oh, hey, it's nearly 3 years later and this issue *STILL* exists. And Daniel is spot on- garbage like this is precisely why I'm still avoiding Pro as much as I can. Long live Arcmap. 😞