How can I calculate the driving time between many origins and three corresponding destinations?

01-23-2019 08:56 PM
LawrenceRoakes
New Contributor

I have a spreadsheet with many origins and three destinations.  I need to calculate the driving time between each origin and its corresponding destination. The origins and destinations are in the same spreadsheet.  I geocoded the origins and destinations separately. Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!   

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you wanting road distance or straight-line?

If you want road distance, then you need the Network Analyst extension.

An overview of the Network Analyst toolbox—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

an od matrix would work if you don't need to see the route

If you want straight line, then you can make point feature class or just a table using the origins and destinations, then calculate a geodesic distance if your points are in a decimal degree coordinate system.

Other options are described in

XY To Line—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
LawrenceRoakes
New Contributor

Thanks Dan! I have Network Analyst and have run OD Cost Matrix. How do I get Analyst to calculate the travel time from an origin to a specific designated destination? Instead of Analyst choosing a destination based on parameters, the destinations are already designated. I do not need the route shapes, just the straight lines and the travel time. My data is shaped per the table below.

Record #OriginDestination
1Address 1A
2Address 2B
3Address 3C
4Address 4A
5Address 5A
6Address 6B
7Address 7B

Lawrence Roakes

0 Kudos
RamonPablo
New Contributor

Hi Lawrence

Did you get any success?

I have exactly the same problem as you. How could I set the OD matrix properties in order to know the distance between many origins and their corresponding destinations? 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Ryan_ESRICommunity
New Contributor II

Hello Lawrence et al,

Indeed, I'm asking the same question and I'm wondering if there's been any movement or workaround solutions on this thread? Perhaps someone from ESRI can weight in? Essentially what's needed is the integration of the Generate Origin-Destination Links GP tool within the OD Cost Matrix function that resides in Network Analyst to facilitate drive times instead of as-the-crow fly distances. Curious if anyone has scripted some like this?  Thanks!

0 Kudos