Hi has anyone experienced any issues when grouping text in ArcPro?

08-29-2019 01:05 AM
MarkCapeling
New Contributor

I'm creating a map and adding text manually to my map.  I thought it would be great to then group this text so I can turn categories on and off easily.  However I went to ungroup this text and this caused ArcPro to crash.  When reopening my project I had lost this grouped text from my contents but I still had the text on my map.  I'm now unable to do anything with this text which is ok unless I want to make amendments to it?  Has anyone else experience this and is there anyway I am able to again edit this text that I have added but since lost it from my contents

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Are you able to provide steps to reproduce? Are you working in a map or a layout? What buttons or tools are you using to add the text to the map? Screenshots are helpful here. What version of Pro? Computer specs? What type of data? From a File GDB, AGOL? 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mark, 

Your expectations are valid and you should be able to group layout text element for ease of use. Currently, I'm unaware of any known issues concerning the grouping/ungrouping of text elements in a Layout View. From the screenshot you provided I don't see any element that is turned on in the Contents pane, yet I see text displaying on the Layout View (page). These text elements don't seem to correspond to any item in the Contents pane. They seem to be in a bad state - one in which I doubt you'll be able to recover the text much less edit. 

I'd be very interested in how the text elements got into this state, but as Thomas stated above, we need steps/data to reproduce the problem. Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

In the meantime, try copy/pasting the layout in the same project, or saving the project out as a new project. This MIGHT reset the layout and either remove the bad element. Also, I'm assuming that the text is labeling features/areas of your map.  Is there any reason that you are not using labeling or annotation?

Here are some links to annotation and labeling help topics:

Annotation—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Create annotation feature classes—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Labeling basics—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps, 

Tom 

0 Kudos