Help with Import 3d Files tool

10-13-2015 03:49 PM
AlexRocco
New Contributor III

I am using the Import 3d Files tool to move my DAE models to a multipatch feature class. This seems to place them in Never Never land away from my 2d data. I can drag the same models into City Engine and they place correctly. When I check the spatial reference, it is the same as my 2d data. Anybody god at getting 3d models into Pro?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
YuriPotawsky
Esri Contributor

Hi Alex,

The behavior you are observing is well known and has been documented within the following defect: NIM099771 -Using the Import 3D Files tool with the placement points parameter to define a spatial re...​  You have a few options for importing the models into ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro. You can create 2D point data and convert these to Multipatch features. You will then be able to utilize the "Replace with Model" workflow within a 3D edit session to replace the geometry of the selected features with a 3D model file you have saved on disk. This workflow is actually referred to as "Replace Multipatch" within ArcGIS Pro and is accessed via the edit tab view. You could also import these using the 'Import 3D Files' Geoprocessing tool and use the move, rotate, and scale 3D editing tools to interactively move the converted Multipatches. You did mention that you had access to CityEngine. If this is still the case then my suggestion would be to import the COLLADA models into CE and then select the models and export them to Esri File .GDB multipatch. You should be able to directly add these into ArcGIS Pro without issue.

Hope this helps,

Yuri   

FAQ: How do I import existing 3D modeling data?

FAQ: How do I share 3D models within a GIS framework?