[HELP] Requested help from Qgis and Arcpro users. Can't see shapefiles created in Q in Arc

08-10-2022 08:17 PM
JonJones1
Occasional Contributor

Hello all,

I imported a .csv file of points and created a point shapefile inside of Qgis. Most of the points have an x of 5000 and Y of 4000. The position of my points is based on a local site-specific coordinate system that I don't have the details of, nor how to convert to a known/common coordinate system.

In Qgis everything displays well, however, in Arcpro I can see the attributes but the points are never shown on the screen from my shapefile.  My thought is that it is due to the crazy coordinate system/super low position of the points that are screwing things up for me.  I tried to export them to .geojson and other formats, but no luck there either about seeing the points in Arcpro.  

I could sidestep Qgis this time but sometimes a lot of my workflow goes through Qgis as that Arcpro is a new piece of software for me. What I am trying to do is fix a small problem now before it becomes a big deal.  Any thoughts?

Using Qgis 3.22  and Arcpro 3.0.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Add the layer to an empty map with no basemap etc.

If it doesn't appear onscreen, right-click on the layer and select zoom to layer.  If it appears then you should use the Define Projection to give it an appropriate coordinate system.  If it doesn't appear then skip Qgis and use Pro to make an event layer from the csf

... sort of retired...
JonJones1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you sir!

Event layers were the fix, thank you! I could not get the data to display in another way other than creating the event layer in Arcpro from the source .csv file. Not even adding the .csv to the map, right-clicking and “Display X,Y table” didn’t work.

With that being said, I have one quick follow-up question. Would you know of any way to get the shapefiles that I did make in Qgis into Arcpro for my current situation? When I import them I see nothing other than a correct attribute table.

I ask this because, within Qgis I ran a few routines that I couldn't in Arcpro due to not having the correct licenses in Arcpro to create a polygon layer from the points I need. My thought is that the lack of a known coordinate position is my issue. Would you have an idea of any projection system that I could assign the polygon shapefile so that I could see the polygons in Arcpro, thoughts?

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

"MOST of the points are 5000,4000" so don't use WGS84!! That would be wrong. Most any OTHER projection should work. After you define a projection you should still be able to see that data in QGIS before you export it.

Any chance you could upload a sample of the data here so I can try it?

0 Kudos
JonJones1
Occasional Contributor

Hey!  I just changed all layers over to ESRI:102008 "NAD 1983 Albers North America" and I can now see everything at least on screen :).  So I am going to run with that till I know the real projection system. 

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

Cool! 

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey

Caution: "defining" a projection places the features in the "correct" location only if the projection applied is correct as far as I can tell.

When dealing with shapefiles, you can open the .prj file in Notepad, etc., to see a textual description of the projection that QGIS applied.

I don't know QGIS and what it can do. You might consider third party software such as ET GeoWizards to handle some of the things that require a Standard or Advanced license. It works independently from any GIS software and will make polygons from points, create rectangles around points and some other things that we found useful for the Basic license level user. 

0 Kudos