Have a Custom Dictionary Used for Labeling Saved with Layer File

11-12-2020 01:18 PM
Labels (1)
MapManOregon
New Contributor III

So, we use a lot of layer files, and I like to create Dictionaries for labeling.  I know that if I save the Map as a file, then the Dictionary is saved also.  

The issue I've encountered is if I save just a layer file that uses a Dictionary for labeling, then the Dictionary does not get saved also.  Hence, when I add the layer file, what I get is what you see in the attached image, whereby the Labeling Properties says the Dictionary is applied, but the Dictionary did not get saved also.

Any suggestions?  I use Dictionaries quite a bit. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, and thanks for posting on GeoNet! 

Abbreviation Dictionaries get saved with projects, as you may have noticed. However, they don't get saved with layers. I'd recommend saving the Abbreviation Dictionaries somewhere, especially if you use them frequently. Afterwards, you can add your layers in and load the proper Abbreviation Dictionary that applies to the corresponding layers, as mentioned in our documentation here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/text/abbreviate-and-truncate-labels.htm#:~:text=Save%.... Let me know if that's close to what you're looking for, or if you may have other questions regarding this.

Hope it helps! 

Vivien

0 Kudos