Has anyone had an issue overwriting Web Layers in ArcGIS Pro to a server other than the Hosting server?

09-05-2018 12:56 PM
DanielWilson
New Contributor III

I’m trying to overwrite a Web Layer that is not on the Hosting Server but federated with Portal.  

Under Location > Server and Folder the Hosting Server is selected and it won’t let me switch the server to the server where the Web Layer is currently published.

When I try and publish,  I get the following error – “MyWebLayer does not exist on the active portal.  Publish a new web layer.”

If a continue it publishes the same service to the Hosting Server.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I’m using ArcGIS Pro 2.2 with Portal/Server 10.5.1

7 Replies
JoelDillon
New Contributor II

Hi Daniel, 

I also have this issue:

It appears that as when overwriting (any) web map layers in ArcGIS Pro the server defaults to the portal's hosting server and cannot be changed even (as you point out) when the layer is published on a different federated server.

A bug?

My current work around is:

- delete the web layer from portal, then

- delete the service from the server, then

- republish.

However, this is far from ideal.

JD

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

- delete the web layer from portal definitely isn't ideal, especially when you have itemid dependency. What authentication mode? I feel like I would have noticed this, using SAML....

0 Kudos
DanielWilson
New Contributor III

I'm using Windows IWA security.

0 Kudos
HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

We also still have this issue. Currently have pending support request with our national distributor. We have just upgraded to 7.1 enterprise and are using the latest ArcGIS Pro and this is not resolved. I'm concerned that even Esri is not aware of this issue yet. 

Our work around is something similar to what has been suggested but it is far from ideal. After deleting the service then republishing we have to use a python script to update the item id for any existing web map json's in the back end. Extremely frustrating when we have clients expecting an agile environment where republishing/overwriting existing services really shouldn't be such an issue. 

Interested to hear what anyone comes up with! 

Thanks

Hamish

0 Kudos
HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

For our environment we have stood up a third server and federated this with our portal. This 3rd portal does not have the overwrite issue, therefore we believe this has something to do with our configuration. Will post when again when fully resolved. 

0 Kudos
TomStephenson3
New Contributor

Hey Hamish! we have the same issue at council. Arc Pro 2.3, Portal 10.6.1. Did you ever find a fix? Hope you're smashing it mate, cheers!

HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

Hey Tom! 

Unfortunately we never resolved this issue directly. All we ended up doing was retiring the server that would not let us publish directly and standing up new ones  

Good to see you on here!