Ground image stability when changing altitude.

Jump to solution
04-05-2024 03:21 PM
Labels (2)
JGJ252
by
New Contributor II

When zooming in or out between near-ground level and much higher altitude, the base map ground imagery ("Imagery" or "NAID") changes as the camera changes distance from the ground. It's obviously using differing resolutions over different size areas, but it messes up the continuity of the animation with large areas of the ground changing appearance suddenly during the zoom.

My question: Is there any way to specify that the ground imagery *not* be swapped out during an animation -- either keeping the lower res all the way, or down-sampling the higher res at greater distances?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JGJ252
by
New Contributor II

Just to follow up to my own question...

I posed this issue to support, and they replied with a great solution:

-- begin quote --

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have done doing the testing I mentioned in my last email. I also discussed with my internal team regarding the issue. Hence, I have attached information I found below for your reference.
  • World Imagery basemap will automatically update to latest image taken in the place once zoomed in to the ground level.
  • This is an expected behavior in ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap.
  • I have tried to find a way to pause the basemap to certain resolution, but I could not do that since such feature is not available.
However, through continuous testing I have found a way to resolve the issue you are having by using the workaround below.
  1. Navigate to Portal in Catalog Pane, switch to ArcGIS Online Contents and search 'USA NAIP' like shown below.

c185204c-57b6-46e9-bd6e-cced079fffbe.png

2. Choose the fourth option which is 'USA NAIP Imagery' web map and add it to the project like shown below.

df51d9ca-c129-4433-ab29-9c611de38baf.png

3. Remove all the layers in the map except for the layer 'USA NAIP Imagery: Natural Color'.
  4. Since this is a Raster layer, the resolution is set to a certain value and won't change/shift when zoomed in or out.
  5. Place the feature classes above this layer and carry on with the workflow.
The webapp or raster layer I have given above is just an example. You can find any raster layer, tile layer or web app that better suits your project. Moreover, the web app I have suggested is owned by Esri so it is free to be used by users.

-- end quote --

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JGJ252
by
New Contributor II

Just to follow up to my own question...

I posed this issue to support, and they replied with a great solution:

-- begin quote --

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have done doing the testing I mentioned in my last email. I also discussed with my internal team regarding the issue. Hence, I have attached information I found below for your reference.
  • World Imagery basemap will automatically update to latest image taken in the place once zoomed in to the ground level.
  • This is an expected behavior in ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap.
  • I have tried to find a way to pause the basemap to certain resolution, but I could not do that since such feature is not available.
However, through continuous testing I have found a way to resolve the issue you are having by using the workaround below.
  1. Navigate to Portal in Catalog Pane, switch to ArcGIS Online Contents and search 'USA NAIP' like shown below.

c185204c-57b6-46e9-bd6e-cced079fffbe.png

2. Choose the fourth option which is 'USA NAIP Imagery' web map and add it to the project like shown below.

df51d9ca-c129-4433-ab29-9c611de38baf.png

3. Remove all the layers in the map except for the layer 'USA NAIP Imagery: Natural Color'.
  4. Since this is a Raster layer, the resolution is set to a certain value and won't change/shift when zoomed in or out.
  5. Place the feature classes above this layer and carry on with the workflow.
The webapp or raster layer I have given above is just an example. You can find any raster layer, tile layer or web app that better suits your project. Moreover, the web app I have suggested is owned by Esri so it is free to be used by users.

-- end quote --

0 Kudos