Select to view content in your preferred language

Geoprocessing tools no longer work

01-04-2017 10:34 AM
CyrusBlankinship
Deactivated User

Whenever I attempt to use a geoprocessing tool I get an error saying "Tool has failed to open". For example, when I attempt to run the excel to table tool, this comes up

Not sure if a path is broken or what, but it is incredibly frustrating. When I try to run the tool in the Python window, Pro crashes. 

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Also some additional troubleshooting items to try:

Here some troubling shooting steps that you could follow.
1.    Uninstall Conda  and  Anaconda and delete all the file associated with it.
2.    Uninstall arcgis Pro.
3.    Go to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS > Rename the folder Pro to Pro_Old
4.    Go to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming > Rename the folder ESRI to ESRI_Old

5.    Reinstall arcgis Pro

6.    Go to Control Panel\System and Security\System > Advance system settings > Environment variables 

7.    In system Variables search for Path > Double click on Path.

8.    Add the following path in the variable at the end separated by a semicolon: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin;C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy;C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcToolBox\Scripts

9.    Restart The Machine

10.    Start arcgis Pro > Try using a Toolbox.

CyrusBlankinship
Deactivated User

Still a no-go unfortunately. Followed all of the steps, so still no idea whats causing the geoprocessing tools to fail. 

0 Kudos
ClintonDow1
Frequent Contributor

Hello Cyrus Blankinship‌ sorry to hear you're having issues. I tried to reproduce your situation by installing Pro 1.3.1 and immediately installing the arcgis package following the same instructions. However in my case Pro still works fine. Did you happen to install other packages prior to updating to 1.3.1? They may remain in the env upon update, unless manually deleted due to limitations of the installer.

Can you open the Python Command Prompt (Start>Programs>ArcGIS>ArcGIS Pro>Python Command Prompt) and type 'conda list' then paste the result here? It sounds like something got updated that shouldn't have. 

0 Kudos
CyrusBlankinship
Deactivated User

I didn't think I installed any packages prior to updating to 1.3.1, but here is the list:

[arcgispro-py3] C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>conda
list
# packages in environment at C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgisp
ro-py3:
#
arcgispro 1.3 1 http://twofish/win-
64/arcgispro-1.3-1.tar.bz2
colorama 0.3.6 py34_0 defaults
future 0.15.2 py34_0 defaults
matplotlib 1.4.3 np19py34_0 defaults
msvc_runtime 1.0.1 vc10_0 [vc10] defaults
nose 1.3.7 py34_0 defaults
numpy 1.9.3 py34_0e [arcgispro] esri
openssl 1.0.2h vc10_0 [vc10] defaults
pandas 0.17.1 np19py34_0 esri
pip 8.1.1 py34_1 defaults
py 1.4.31 py34_0 defaults
pyparsing 2.1.1 py34_0 defaults
pypdf2 1.25.1 py_0 esri
pytest 2.9.1 py34_0 defaults
python 3.4.4 4 defaults
python-dateutil 2.5.3 py34_0 defaults
pytz 2016.4 py34_0 defaults
requests 2.9.1 py34_0 defaults
scipy 0.16.1 np19py34_0e [arcgispro] esri
setuptools 20.7.0 py34_0 defaults
six 1.10.0 py34_0 defaults
sympy 0.7.6.1 py34_0 defaults
vs2010_runtime 10.00.40219.1 0 defaults
wheel 0.29.0 py34_0 defaults
xlrd 0.9.4 py34_0 defaults
xlwt 1.0.0 py34_0 defaults

0 Kudos
ClintonDow1
Frequent Contributor

This looks okay to me for a fresh install. Very odd that you're still having issues after a full reinstall.

Perhaps try running "%Pro Install Location%\bin\Python\Scripts\proswap.bat arcgispro-py3" to ensure that your registry keys needed by Pro didn't somehow get changed?

0 Kudos
CyrusBlankinship
Deactivated User

When I run that all I get is:

"arcgispro-py3" is already the active environment.

0 Kudos
ClintonDow1
Frequent Contributor

Hello Cyrus,

Sorry to hear that didn't work for you. Perhaps instead of the Python environment it could be an issue with your geoprocessing tool cache. In C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches - delete the files g0.* and g1.* - these are the geoprocessing tool cache. It may have been corrupted somewhere along the way and doesn't necessarily get removed when you reinstall. Once they've been deleted open a brand new project and the GP pane to regenerate the caches and see if your tools will work as expected. 

0 Kudos
CyrusBlankinship1
Occasional Contributor

Was able to resolve the issue through the following:

1. uninstalled Arcgis Pro through control panel
  2. uninstalled Data Interop for Arcgis Pro:
    • This may have been what was causing the error, this solution didn't work until I got rid of both programs
  3. Deleted Program Files related to Pro: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro
  4. Deleted local caches in the esri folder: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches
  5. Deleted registry keys under Esri Pro
  6. Restarted my comp and Installed Pro again --> Working program
ClintonDow1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the follow up, very glad that its working now. Its good to know that interop may be related, I'll relay the info to the relevant teams.

0 Kudos
MarkDeaton
Esri Contributor

I just resolved the same problem with Pro 2.0.1 by uninstalling the Data Interop Extension (2.0).