GeoJSON created with Feature to JSON produces error when read back in with JSON to Feature

11-05-2019 05:59 AM
BF_TadejBevk
New Contributor II

Hi,

I've had some trouble working with GeoJSON files in ArcGIS Pro. Specifically, if I create a new GeoJSON using the Feature to JSON from a polygon feature shapefile (ticked Output to GeoJSON, Project to WGS_1984) and then import the output back in using JSON to Feature an error is given:

ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
Field is not editable. [Shape_Length]
The table was not found. [Test_json_JSONToFeatures]
Expected property name; state : startOfObject; buffer : {"type":"FeatureCollection","features":[{"type":"F
Failed to execute (JSONToFeatures).

Reading the error, I manually deleted properties "Shape_Length" and "Shape_Area" from the GeoJSON file. After this procedure the tool works and the import succeeds. I guess the two properties are in conflict with geometry fields that are automatically produced for each created feature.

Does anyone have the same problem? The bug should not be hard to reproduce. 

I've reported it to technical support already.

I'm attaching both original GeoJSON output (which produces error) and the modified one (which works). Both were successfully verified on GeoJSONLint - Validate your GeoJSON .

All the best.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I get the same error (in Pro 2.5 beta). 

It has to be a bug.  Even with hidden fields shape_length and area are causing issues.

I have passed on the information and will reply back here.

If you have a chance could you see if it has been reported as a bug in previous versions

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Kory Kramer‌ flagged on 2.5 Beta as well, but no response yet

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

This issue has been fixed in Pro 2.5 beta 2. Thank you for reporting the problem.

ScienceJ
New Contributor

Hi,

We are using ArcGIS pro 2.9 on one of the machines, >3 on another, and still have this issue.

Could you provide feedback on this?

Take care.

0 Kudos
DonMorrison1
Occasional Contributor III

I just ran into this with a geoprocessing service running on ArcGIS Server 10.6.1 running JSONToFeatures

0 Kudos