Geodatabase connection properties ERROR

09-19-2018 12:03 AM
faisalmawaali
New Contributor II

I’m using ARCGis Pro 2.2.2  connecting to Oracle 12.1.0.1.0 to enterprise Geodatabase 10.2 and I’m getting below error when I try to view Geodatabase connection properties .

Although I mange to connect to the geodatabase .

Geodatabase connection properties error

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Looks similar to a Bug : GeoDatabase Connection Properties Fails 

[BUG-000096686: Unable to access 'Geodatabase Connection Properties' when connection is created using the Transparent Network Substrate (TNS) name for an Oracle geodatabase.]

Suggested workaroundUse an Oracle Easy Connect string while connecting to the Oracle geodatabase

faisalmawaali
New Contributor II

thanks Asrujit for your email.

the bug is for ArcGIS pro 2.1 , does it addressed with the latest version (2.2)  ??

and for workaround I'm already using oracle easy connect string , is there any other solution ...?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The bug link is.

BUG-000096686: Unable to access 'Geodatabase Connection Properties'.. 

It is in the Production plan and the work around is as posted by Asrujit

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, it seems the issue is still present in Pro 2.2.

I am not aware of any other solution. The East Connect seems to be the only way.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You need to open a case with tech support as the Easy Connect solution has been ESRI's workaround for this issue for quite some time.  The Easy Connect workaround is not supported at my org so I am hoping that ESRI resolves this issue in the next patch or major release.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is misleading about the bug description is that it really isn't a TNS issue, or only a TNS issue.  My organization uses OID/LDAP lookups, not TNS, and we have the same issue.  Furthermore, the Easy Connect workaround doesn't work either.  There is something deeper rooted than just TNS that is causing this issue, I hope Esri realizes that and isn't just focusing on TNS.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Joshua:

What version of Pro are you using where the Easy Connect workaround is not working for you?

https://community.esri.com/message/748248-geodatabase-connection-properties-fails 

In the above thread Kory Kramer states that the Easy Connect workaround does work, but I'm unsure of the version he was using in his validation.  At my org the Easy Connect was tested in a sandbox environment (not a production solution) and it did solve the problem in Pro 2.2.1, but maybe the Easy Connect workaround in now broken with the patch of Pro 2.2.2.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It has been a couple months since I tested last, so I am re-testing today using Pro 2.2.2 and will let you know how it goes.

UPDATE:

Since there are multiple ways to create database connection files, I will clarify that my comments relate to database connection files created using "New Database Connection" from the context menu in Catalog pane.  We have observed different behavior from connection files created using context menus in the GUI vs geoprocessing tools like Create Database Connection—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop .

Machine information:

• Client(s):
    • Windows 10 Enterprise (Version 1607)
    • ArcGIS Pro 2.2.2
    • Oracle 12.2.0.1.0
  • Server:
    • RHEL 6 (Update 1)
    • ArcGIS Enterprise/SDE 10.3.1 (User-schema geodatabases)
    • Oracle 11.2.0.4.0

Behaviors:

• New Data Connection (context menu)
    • TNSNAMES
      • Create Database Connection:  Succeeds
        • Connection Properties (context menu):  Succeeds
        • Geodatabase Connection Properties (context menu):  Fails
          • Connection Error: Unable to get geodatabase connection properties.
            • A database connection exception has occurred.  Underlying DBMS error[ORA-12154: TNS:count not resolve the connect identifier specifiedNo extended error].
    • LDAP
        • Geodatabase Connection Properties (context menu):  Fails
          • Connection Error: Unable to get geodatabase connection properties.
            • A database connection exception has occurred.  Underlying DBMS error[ORA-12154: TNS:count not resolve the connect identifier specifiedNo extended error].
    • Easy Connect
        • Geodatabase Connection Properties (context menu):  Hangs indefinitely
          • Have tried letting it sit to 60+ minutes, nothing happens.  The hung dialog box effectively messes up the entire Pro sessions and users have to kill Pro and re-launch.
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Josh,

This issue has come up again here in Support and we are updating this bug a bit. But I want to confirm a couple of things with you because you've tested this on the latest Pro release.

1. If you use the ez connect string with OS authentication, do you see the hang?
  2. What about if you use the ez connect string with database authentication? Is the hang present?
  3. Lastly, if you use database authentication with the ez connect string and chose to not save the username and password, do you see the hang?

Thanks for testing this. I just want to make sure what we see here matches what you are seeing so we can update this bug as needed.

Jonathan

0 Kudos