Geocoding taking a lot longer in ArcPro 3.0

Jump to solution
08-04-2022 10:40 AM
Labels (2)
JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

Every month I geocode a large table, about 133k records, but it typically only takes a few minutes to geocode them with my city's locator file. After upgrading to ArcPro 3.0, it now takes 4.5 hours!

Is anyone else having geocoding issues in ArcPro 3.0??

I've checked my CPU in task manager and it is barely hitting 5% while geocoding. (see screen shot)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jeff,

Have you built, published and tested a new locator wholly in 3.0? I had a locator that was built in ArcMap10.6 that worked and is still working fine in Pro 2.9.x machines. We have 3 machines on Pro 3 and the centerline locator cannot even be loaded in P3 so had to be rebuilt. 

Have a look at Geocoding section of Migrating from Pro 2.x to 3 - https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/migrate-2x-to-3.htm It seems to bear out the results I experienced.

As I take it, if you are running a mixed 2.x and 3 Pro environment you will have to maintain version specific locators.

Hope this helps.

Tom

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

Update:

The 4.5 hour geocode process has finished but not one record was actually geolocated!

I then used the exact same table with the exact same locator file in ArcMap 6.2.1 and it geocoded in less than 4 minutes with no issues.

sigh.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you provide more details about the locator?  Is it composed of multiple components such as point locator and a road centerline locator?

I have not tried geocoding in Pro 3.0, but I will give it a shot and let you know of my results.

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeff,

Would you be able to provide more information about your locator and environment?  From what I can tell from the screenshot it looks like you have a composite locator and it is published to Enterprise, correct?  If so, what version of Enterprise are you using?

Any information about your composite locator would also be appreciated.  One key here is what tool was used to create the participating locators?  Was it the Create Address Locator tool or the Create Locator tool?

Lastly, did you retry with Pro 2.9 and if so were you successful geocoding with that version?  I see you tried with ArcMap and didn't see the same issue.

Brad

0 Kudos
JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

Brad,

The locator is on my city's Enterprise server. I don't know what version they're running. I belong to a different quasi-government utility organization, so we run different versions of Enterprise most likely. 

Anyway, it is a composite locator which has worked fine in ArcPro 2.9 and previous versions, it just doesn't work in ArcPro 3.0. I don't know how it was created, but I assume in ArcGIS Desktop. 

Sorry, but I don't know more about it. I can possibly send you a direct link to the server if you wish to try. It's not password protected as far as I know but I don't want to post it publicly. 

0 Kudos
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jeff,

Have you built, published and tested a new locator wholly in 3.0? I had a locator that was built in ArcMap10.6 that worked and is still working fine in Pro 2.9.x machines. We have 3 machines on Pro 3 and the centerline locator cannot even be loaded in P3 so had to be rebuilt. 

Have a look at Geocoding section of Migrating from Pro 2.x to 3 - https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/migrate-2x-to-3.htm It seems to bear out the results I experienced.

As I take it, if you are running a mixed 2.x and 3 Pro environment you will have to maintain version specific locators.

Hope this helps.

Tom

0 Kudos
JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

Thanks Thomas,

I didn't build the locator but I'm sure it was made in an older ArcMap environment and after reading the link that you supplied, it seems that it's not compatible with ArcPro 3.0. Thanks, I will inform the city that they need to provide some updated locators.

Jeff

0 Kudos
msevierTPCHD
New Contributor

We are having the same issue but we went from a 3 hr geocode process to a 15 hr one.  It's even worse when we use newly generated locator files in Pro 3.0.  It's terrible.  They are composite locators using address points and roads with local data and the ESRIWorld locator.  It runs in a model but the model was even rebuilt in a new toolbox so that everything is compatible with the same version.  Has anyone had any success with anything?

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

I would like to know more about the workflow you are using that is giving you slower performance when geocoding.

Can you provide more details about the workflow including where the locator is stored when you are using it (Enterprise, local disk, network share, etc..), the size of data for your locators, and how the composite locator order was setup?  Any additional information that you can provide can help us track down why you are seeing this.

Brad

0 Kudos
msevierTPCHD
New Contributor

I'm working on a server that's directly on our network.  The model has a geocoding tool in it that's accessing a csv file that is being geocoded and it sits on the same server.  The file has ~600K records.  The locator is as noted above a composite locator with address points, roads and the ESRI World geocoder. The locator is for a large county in WA State.  The locator is only 9K in size. It sits on the same network as the server but is on a different server.  The set up and workflow is no different than before we upgraded to 3.0.  I originally tried the model with the old toolbox and locator files and it was going to take 18 hrs so I recreated the model in a 3.0 toolbox and also recreated the locator files.  Now it's taking about 15 hrs.

0 Kudos