Geocoding in ArcGIS Pro

09-04-2018 10:19 AM
NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

I am trying to geocode an excel sheet imported in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1. It has the following columns: ID, Address, State, Zipcode, and County. I even removed the other fields like "Description" and etc. cause I thought they might create problems because they contained special characters.  

I have tried different formats like CSV, XLS, and XLSX. None of them worked.

I have the following licensing as well: 3D Analyst, Geostatistical Analyst, Spatial Analyst, etc. Also, I am already logged in.

I followed the requirements for the excel sheet formatting and how to import them into ArcGIS pro; i.e. no spacing in the header row.

I right click on the table and choose Geocode Table. The Input Table is choosen by default. I choose "US Address" from All Portal as Input Locator (I had no idea how to work with this because in ArcMap everything was set as default, so in ArcPro, I just looked it up and figure out that US address might work). After that, I set every other parameter and Routing Location as Preferred Location Type, and click RUN. But I keep getting this error:

ERROR 000010: Geocode addresses failed.
Failed to execute (GeocodeAddresses).
Failed at Tuesday, September 4, 2018 11:15:51 AM (Elapsed Time: 1.07 seconds)
Error: 10 - Geocode addresses failed.
Error: -2147467259 - Failed to execute (GeocodeAddresses).

Do you have any suggestions?

Here, is a snapshot of the data:

IDAddressCityCountyStateZipcode
1922 North Main StreetBrigham CityBOX ELDERUtah84302
2780 East 100 NorthPaysonUtahUtah84651
31510 North 800 EastLoganCACHEUtah84322
45600 South Redwood RoadTaylorsvilleSALT LAKEUtah84123
574 East Main StreetAmerican ForkUtahUtah84003
6289 South State StreetClearfieldDAVISUtah84015
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In your Catalog Pane under Project->Locators, do you see ArcGIS World Geocoding Service first followed by XY Provider second?  If not, then you can add the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service to the list.  Keep in mind this will consume Esri credits.  If you want to create your own address locator, please visit the following URL:  http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/geocoding/create-address-locator.htm

NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

Right now, I have World Geocoding Service and US Addresses. In the Geocode Table Pane, There is no drop-down list so I search for these terms again and I choose them. But, it doesn't work again.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you using the Geocode Addresses GP tool or the Geocode Addresses from Table GP tool?

0 Kudos
NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

When I search Geocoding in the Tools Pane, The first option is Geocode Addresses. That is the one I am using. I don't see any other options.

0 Kudos
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nasser,

The fact that you are using a portal locator named "US Address" tells me you are not using a locator service provided by Esri. Most likely, this is a user-created geocode service published to ArcGIS Server and then hosted in your Portal for ArcGIS or ArcGIS Online account. Are you not the one who published this geocode service? Do you have access to the geocode service URL you can provide me to test with? 

What happens when you use the World Geocode Service? (although as Robert noted, this consumes ArcGIS Online credits at a rate of 40 credits per 1,000 addresses). 

Let me know! 

Eric

0 Kudos
NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

You are right. "US Address" owner is :LoudounCounty". I didn't notice that. I didn't create that and don't have access to its URL.

Now, I tried "World Geocoding" provided by ESRI, and got the same error.

==> Start executing of geocoding.GeocodeAddresses
Start Time: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:49:38 PM
Executing Geocode Addresses...
ERROR 000010: Geocode addresses failed.
Failed to execute (GeocodeAddresses).
Failed at Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:49:39 PM (Elapsed Time: 0.92 seconds)
Error: 10 - Geocode addresses failed.
Error: -2147467259 - Failed to execute (GeocodeAddresses).

0 Kudos
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

Hi Nasser,

Using some of the sample addresses you provided put into a CSV file, they geocode fine on my end using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1 and the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service (6/6 matches, no error). 

Some follow up questions to maybe narrow this down:

• Can you test with the same sample table I did and let me know if its successful? If the sample table is successful, we can turn our focus more towards your actual input table (and I'd maybe need a copy of that). If not, we can focus on other things
  • Are you connected to ArcGIS Pro using ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS?
    • Are other usernames in your organization able to successfully geocode from ArcGIS Pro using the World Geocode Service? 
    • Do you have enough credits in your organization to geocode all the addresses (again, 40 credits per 1,000 addresses)? 
  • Where are you saving the output to? Try switching it up and see if anythings successful (network drive vs local drive, shapefile vs file geodatabase). 

Also including a screenshot of my tool parameters just in case something jumps out at you (output location is the default ArcGIS Pro project file geodatabase):

-Eric

0 Kudos
NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

Thank you Eric. I used the same table you sent me (Also I used table-to-table tool to first import this table to my geodatabase) but I get the same problem. I checked other output locations as well but didn't help

The only difference between the image you attached and my screen is the "Input Locator". I can't find any locator with "ArcGIS World Geocoding Services" from ESRI. I look it up in the "All Portal" tab, and there is only one with this name but the owner is "gisinschools". 

Is it possible to share this locator with me?

Maybe the problem is with my institute.

I am logged in ArcGIS Pro using my institute email address. I don't know if this answers your question.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

It sounds like ArcGIS.com is not your active Portal in AGP.  Go to the Project core tab, click Portals on the left side and is https://www.arcgis.com available, signed in via your credentials and set as the Active Portal?  If not, right click on https://www.arcgis.com and Set as the active portal.  Then attempt the geocode process again.

0 Kudos