Select to view content in your preferred language

Generating polygons from line features where the lines aren't joined up

Jump to solution
03-18-2024 05:22 AM
Labels (1)
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there, I'm looking for help on the above. I have a large number of features which have been delineated by contractors using lines to split them up, rather than by drawing polygons. Is there a simple way to create polygons from this data, without manually having to go in and trace the boundaries? I attach a sample set of the data.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor
3 Replies
RichardHowe

Likely you'll never get a 100% reliable solution here given the inputs are human generated.

Take a look at the "Extend Line" tool, which you can specify a distance and the tool will continue the existing lines to the nearest intersecting feature. Once you've run that then "feature to polygon" is your friend.

I would suggest trial an error of the individual processes manually first and when you happen upon a happy set of parameters then perhaps string them together with model builder or python.

BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

You can also make polygons from lines in an edit session.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.1/help/editing/construct-polygons-from-features.htm

SimonCrutchley

Awesome. Thanks. It hasn't found them all, and will need a bit of editing, but overall it will save a lot of time.

Thanks