Generate slope tags for contours from DEM

03-16-2022 12:07 PM
EricKemp
New Contributor

How to generate slope tags for a polyline FC of contours?

By slope tags I mean the little lines typically used to indicate a depression on a topographic map. The end result would be a point feature class with at least one point for every contour line where the rotation of each point indicates the downhill direction.

A programmatic solution might look something like: Select a vertex from each contour line and use an Aspect raster from Surface Parameters to determine the rotation of the new vertex.

I have 3D and Spatial analyst extensions.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BryndaHatch
Esri Contributor
0 Kudos
EricKemp
New Contributor

Nifty tool but not quite what I'm looking for. I specifically want rotated points, not lines or some other graphical representation of the slope. My intention is to feed the data into another algorithm that expects contours lines and at least one overlapping point indicating the direction of the slope for each contour.

Also I'm working with tens of thousands of auto generated contour lines in a single FC. Doesn't really translate to the "defined slopes" required by that tool.

PS: I didn't think anyone used old school Hachures anymore! Quite an obscure find there.

0 Kudos