Focal statistics error

04-23-2021 09:24 PM
DougTurk
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm getting an error running the Focal Statistics tool. My input raster is a DEM layer from the USGS Elevation Derivatives for National Applications (EDNA) Seamless Three-Dimensional Hydrologic Da.... I reprojected the horizontal coordinates to the USA Contiguous Albers Equal Area Conic USGS projected system, and the Z coordinate to the NAVD 1988 coordinate system. I've tried running the tool in both ModelBuilder and as a stand-alone geoprocess, but both error out. I've tried using different input parameters, such as Rectangle, Circle, etc., as well as different width and height values, and I've tried running different statistic types, but nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

0 Kudos
22 Replies
DrVSSKiran
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Doug,

I just refer to the attached screenshot and found the error in the second-line output. As suggested by Dan and Jayanta, you should type *.tif.

Please refer to the below screenshot.

DrVSSKiran_0-1619285303564.png

0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

Still getting an error.

I was able to copy the original DEM file to a .tif file and store it on a folder right off my C drive. I also reprojected the layer to a projected coordinate systems and updated the vertical coordinate system to "NADV88" (as referenced in the USGS DEM file metadata). However, now when I attempt to run a geoprocess on the updated .tif the geoprocess errors out the same as before. I tried running a slope process and a Focal Statistics process and both immediately errored out with the same error as before. Interestingly, using the Raster Functions seem to work fine, but the geoprocesses seem to be having a problem for some reason.

ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
Failed to execute (FocalStatistics)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

how big is the *.tif?

Can you zip it and attach it to a post?

I want to rule out your machine or environment, if this is standard data

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

A little over 8 meg

0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

I can try clipping it to see if that brings the file size down

0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

I was able to clip it, but I couldn't copy it, so I saved it as a layer file. Let me know if you can open it.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you confirm the value range of the DEM (Min-Max)?

If the Min.  value is absurdly low (such as -32767), you need to change that value to NODATA.

Error: ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression. Failed to execute (Contour) 

Think Location
0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

The value range is 4066.17 to -83.0017

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think you can save in the root drive of C.  put it in a folder C:\Data\your.tif

If it errors out again, and fast, then my guess is that you might have a bad file.  It should attempt to read the file at least

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DougTurk
New Contributor II

Okay, I moved the files to C:\MSP\mydata.tif.  I've also rebooted my computer and kicked off the Copy Raster geoprocess. Good news, so far it hasn't errored out!  

0 Kudos