Filter a Link Chart?

12-28-2020 09:57 AM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'd love to use a Link Chart to visualize genealogy for parcel features in our Parcel Fabric, as was recently shown in a webinar  (What's New Pro 2.7 for Parcel Fabric Meetup Slides ).

However, when I go to create a link chart of my parcels, I have no ability to filter the entities being shown. I have even tried applying a definition query before creating the chart, but it does not work. With roughly 60k parcels in our county, trying to create a link chart for all of them usually crashes my computer, or at least hangs the UI for a long time.

I'd like to keep the link chart pointed at the live data, and not create an export or separate query layer each time I want to make a chart. Is it possible to limit the entities which a link chart is created from?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
6 Replies
AndrewWallick
Occasional Contributor

I'm also interested in how to do this. I'll let you know if I find anything

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you create a Definition Query for the layer in the Contents Pane and then create the Link Chart from the filtered data?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I mentioned that in the question, and unfortunately, the definition query doesn't work. The link chart seems to ignore it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Whoops - you did say that - sorry.  I know in ArcGIS Insights, one can create a Card Filter, a Dataset Filter, or a Pre-Defined Filter to then create a Link Chart.  Are you using ArcGIS Pro 2.7 or an earlier release?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

2.7. I may try just using a Query Layer with parameters for now.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Josh. I'm the product owner for link charts. Thanks for sharing your workflow with us! We do have it in the plans to honor definition queries in the link chart. In the meantime, your idea to create a query layer should work for you. Let us know if you have any more questions or requests.