File Already Exists (Though It Actually Does Not)

05-20-2019 06:20 AM
NadiaNoori1
New Contributor II

Hello all, 

I keep receiving 'WARNING 000725' that states the data set I am creating already exist and what I make now will overwrite it. However I do not have an existing data set anywhere and all that I create are put in new geo-databases that doesn't have these supposed preexisting data set. I never created these layers before and I get this error almost every time I clip, reclassify or create anything really. 

Why do I keep receiving this warning? 

Thank you, 

Nadia 

14 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Are you in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?  Does this happen in a new map/new mxd/new project (depending on which application)?  

Does it still happen if you reboot your machine?

Can you provide a screenshot of the example path that the geoprocessing tool is writing to, and make sure to refresh the Catalog Pane/Catalog window and show a screenshot of the output location expanded...

NadiaNoori1
New Contributor II

Hello Mr. Kramer, thank you for your response.

I am using ArcGIS pro 2.3.2 and this happens anytime I create a new map or project in any new folders. I have actually switched from a pc to a laptop and started anew though I still see this same warning. My outputs are still being generated so there isn't a problem there, though  I don't think I should be seeing this warning as often as I do. I have included the screenshots and pathways below. 

The pathway for the output begin created: C:\Users\nnoori\Documents\NNoori_InVEST\Project\InVEST_SCGrasslandBird_2019\GB_LULC_19.gdb\stu_energy_c_Clip

The warning received: WARNING 000725  Output Raster Dataset: Dataset C:\Users\nnoori\Documents\NNoori_InVEST\Project\InVEST_SCGrasslandBird_2019\GB_LULC_19.gdb\stu_energy_c_Clip already exists.

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I see your using ArcGIS Pro.  Have you tried compressing your database?

0 Kudos
NadiaNoori1
New Contributor II

Hello Mr. Borchert, I have not tried to compress my geodatabase. I am unsure of how this will aid in avoiding the warning? I will start a compression right now. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Well the obvious answer is that you already have a feature dataset or table in your database with the same name.

But you have checked that.

Compression will often remove phantom's (so to speak) from your system.

0 Kudos
MartyRyan
New Contributor III

I am finding the same error in red. It is telling me that a new folder I created moments ago "already exists" and apparently cannot be the output location for the process I want to run. This makes no sense - I could see if I were trying to put the data in an already-existing folder and it was warning me of that fact. How can the location I have just designated as an output location be invalid?

0 Kudos
NadiaNoori1
New Contributor II

I have tried to compress the database twice and it failed both times. Though it said some of my layers have compressed successfully though majority has not and those include some rasters I made. This is the error it gives me on the fail message, file GpCDFCompressFGDB.cpp, line 334: Saving of data file to file geodatabase has failed (file COM_utils.cpp, line 69: Unspecified error;  (code 80004005). 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

So you might have a larger issue with the database itself. Judging by the snapshot you have a number of raster's in the DB

Are there any Map Services running on your machine?  You may need to stop services to compress.

I have also found it sometimes problematical to compress a DB from catalog.  A work around can be to create a model in catalog for the compress and save it as a python script you can double click on to compress it.

PegGronemeyer2
New Contributor II

Has this been resolved?  (And why would I want to compress a db to fix this error?)  Is it a bug?  I use Pro 2.5.0

I am seeing the exact same msg as in original post.  And since I just renamed what was already not a duplicate I still get "000258: Output <value> already exists" no matter what I name the output feature class.  

I am just beginning to use Pro instead of AM...

Thank you, 

Peg