Field delimiter for 'unique values, many fields' symbology

Jump to solution
01-17-2022 09:49 AM
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, 

In ArcMap there was a way to change the field delimiter between fields, when setting the symbology for unique values and more than one field.   I can't see a way to do this in ArcGIS Pro - is it hiding somewhere?  The commas look messy on a map legend - I know I can edit them manually but this used to only take a couple of clicks!  

Hopefully it's there and I just can't find it?!

HelenCooper_1-1642441760120.png

Thanks in advance for any help, 

Helen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HalaAbdelmaksoud
Occasional Contributor

Hi @HelenCooper, You can use arcade expressions to customize your symbology.
From  "Set an expression" from the symbology pane, then apply this arcade expression
$feature.city+"("+$feature.country+")"
but replace the field names(city & country) with your fields' names.image.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies
HelenCooper

Here's an example where I'd like to put the values from the second field in brackets, rather than just separated by a comma:

HelenCooper_0-1642450965153.png

I realise this is more than a delimiter, but while I'm posting, may as well include the 'nice to have' request as well!

0 Kudos
HalaAbdelmaksoud
Occasional Contributor

Hi @HelenCooper, You can use arcade expressions to customize your symbology.
From  "Set an expression" from the symbology pane, then apply this arcade expression
$feature.city+"("+$feature.country+")"
but replace the field names(city & country) with your fields' names.image.png

HelenCooper

Thanks so much @HalaAbdelmaksoud , that's exactly what I needed!

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Is there a setting though, to choose the character that Pro uses to delimit fields (i.e, a semi-colon, or a dash) instead of the default comma?

In the legend>unique>values>multiple fields situation specifically I mean.

jdemartino
New Contributor

Did you ever find a way to do this?  I've been looking as well... such a simple functionality that's missing from PRO...

0 Kudos
HelenCooper

Yes, instead of adding two fields through the menu panel, use the 'Set an expression button', circled in the screenshot below:

HelenCooper_1-1698140669356.png

You can then use a snippet of Arcade code to add two fields and a delimiter between them e.g. 

$feature.FirstFieldName + " add field delimiter symbol here " + $feature.SecondFieldName

HelenCooper_2-1698140849483.png

Hope that helps!

Helen

0 Kudos
AlexandraBlume
New Contributor

Hi Hala, that works well, but if the first field is a number ID field then it ends up getting sorted like 1, 10, 100, 101 instead of 1, 2, 3, etc. (because it gets converted into text when combined with a second field) - do you know how to sort via Arcade?

AlexandraBlume_0-1702459431970.png

KellyLyons_2
New Contributor

Has anyone found a way to change the field delimiter without a script? I am trying to make a numeric key legend using a colon as the delimiter, however using an expression sorts the numbers as text. This is very easy to set up in ArcMap, why are we not able to control the delimiter in Pro?

0 Kudos