Feature to Raster

Jump to solution
06-04-2022 06:27 PM
RichardMorris
New Contributor III

Hi

I am trying to convert a feature layer to a raster. The feature layer contains 3 classes, but only 2 of the classes are converting across to the raster. Please see attached (one image showing the resulting purple raster, the other showing the feature class (AE4) that is not converting.

Any pointers much appreciated. This follows a previous issue with merging feature layers, that came up with layer I'm now trying to convert to a raster @DanPatterson 

Cheers, Richard  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How to change NoData cells to a value—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

raster calculator

syntax, means if the area surrounding the squiggles is nodata, assign the values from the other raster, else, use the orchards

Con(IsNull("orchards"), "other_raster", "orchards")

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When you merged the orchards (the multipart features were merged last),  you now have overlapping polygons, 

Remove Overlap (multiple) (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

should "burn" the orchards into the surrounding landscape, if not examine some of the overlay tools (like update) to get what you need prior to converting to raster.

An alternative would be to combine two rasters (orchards and the other) 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RichardMorris
New Contributor III

Hi Dan - thanks, but when I try Remove Overlap the error message tells me that the Geometry cannot have Z-values. Previously, when merging these features, I had changed the Elevation properties for these features to 'On the ground. I assumed this had flattened them i.e. removed Z-values. Online instructions about removing Z-values talk about changing the GDB... would appreciate hearing if there are any quicker ways to deal with this. 

Thanks, Richard 

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

is class 33 obscured by class 40, i.e do you have overlapping polygons?, or

is the raster cell too large to show class 33?

...and have you looked at rather using PolygonToRaster?

0 Kudos
RichardMorris
New Contributor III

Hi Steve

I tried these two suggested options, thanks. The PolygontoRaster options yields the same result (ie: AE4 not included). The raster cell size should be fine - the minimum width of the polygon is c. 7m. I tried the cell size at 1m to check, but still the same result.

Any other suggestions much appreciated.

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

but does the cell center of the raster cell fall within class 40? 

Try using a priority field (PolygonToRaster) and specify positive values for class 40, see Maximum area method

0 Kudos
RichardMorris
New Contributor III

Hi Steve

- the cell centre of the polygon I'm trying to include (AE4) I presume falls inside 40 - please see attached 'crosshairs' - is this what is meant by centre of the cell??

- would like to try Maximum Area but how do you specify positive values for a specific class? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The cells must fit within the squiggle orchards.  what is the width of those?  Your cell size should  be at least 1/2 the average width if you have any chance of retaining those features  (my rule of thumb).

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RichardMorris
New Contributor III

Thanks

They squiggle orchards min width c. 7m; I tried 1m cell size but the result was the same.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You didn't try....

An alternative would be to combine two rasters (orchards and the other) 

using the same cell size, extent and alignment, then combining them with the Con statement

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos