Feature Templates Not Holding in Feature Service

Jump to solution
11-23-2020 05:51 AM
AnneSanta_Maria1
New Contributor III

Good Morning,

We are working with the utility network and are having trouble keeping feature templates to hold between the map we are publishing from and the feature layer/service. We have feature templates created for all the layers in our initial map based on subtypes. When we publish the feature service and bring that back into ArcGIS Pro some of the templates are not holding their default values. See below.

Below is the feature template for the layer Electric Device in the initial map we publish to our portal from, the defaults are holding.

AnneSanta_Maria1_0-1606136672757.png

After publishing the service we bring the feature layer Electric Device back into a new map in ArcGIS Pro and some of the defaults in the feature template are no longer holding.  See the image of the template below.

AnneSanta_Maria1_2-1606137991111.png

If we delete all templates on the feature service layer in ArcGIS Pro and re-create the templates the defaults come back. But this should not be something we have to do for each layer every time we might need to change something. Has anyone run across this issue and have any suggestions to solutions? 

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RoggerCorrea
New Contributor II

I'm getting the same error and I found a potential tedious workaround. You have to click on the drop-down options, and select AGAIN! your default values. After that, it should turn green on the left side and then you can republish. Would be good if there's a better solution than just having to click one by one all your template items. Cheers, 

RoggerCorrea_1-1622436954735.png

View solution in original post

tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

WOW - I was tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. Default values are working correctly in Pro 2.7 but when I publish this data as a feature service to Enterprise 10.8.1 the default values are NULL. This is what worked for me:

Set default value > click into another field > click back into the field where I am setting the default value > click OK.

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @tigerwoulds I dug through some old emails and found where the issue I reported to the development team was tracked as [BUG-000135141 Feature templates: default values for subtypes are null in a feature service] in Esri Technical Support. Looking up that bug, I see that it was fixed in 2.8 (see this list of issues addressed here https://www.esri.com/content/dam/esrisites/en-us/media/products/arcgis-pro-issues-addressed/arcgis-p...)

If you are still reproducing in 2.8 and above, perhaps there is a difference in the issue you are seeing vs the original problem that was reported by @AnneSanta_Maria1 in this thread?

If it is indeed the same issue, my first suggestion would be to republish the service at 2.8 or 2.9, making sure the subtypes and their default values in the templates are behaving correctly before publishing.

If that's not working, my suggestion is to work with Esri Technical Support to help understand what aspect of the issue is different than the original bug.

This may or may not help: one workaround for the original bug was to delete the "bad" template that gets brought down from the service and recreate it in Pro.

-Scott

11 Replies
BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

@PaulLeBlanc1 

-----------------------------------

Brian Baldwin, Esri Inc., Lead Solution Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/baldwinbrian
0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

• What's the pattern with the fields that work vs. the fields that don't? What type of field?
  • Where does the default value come from? - values you defined in the template or are these defaults from the database itself?
  • What version of Pro are you using?
  • Can we assume the data you are publishing is branch versioned?
  • Is Technical Support involved? They can assist with narrowing things down, and log a bug if necessary.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
AnneSanta_Maria1
New Contributor III

1. Fields that don't work have different domains based on the subtype. The domains vary based on the subtype. So some subtypes have the domain electric device status Open/Closed and others have Electric Device State- Active/Inactive. The field is short integer, the domain is also a short coded value domain.

2. Defaults are set in the database configured at the subtype level - not in the feature template. 

3. Pro Version 2.6.2

4. Yes it is all branch versioned. It cannot be published without branch versioning. 

5. Next step would be to involve tech support. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information. I've notified the proper development team. If you need to track the bug, Esri Technical Support will be able to give you a bug number.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
RayGarrett
New Contributor

Has a resolution been found for this issue? I am experiencing the same problem. It is not just one field not having the proper default but all fields that are set at the subtype level. I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.6.3 and Enterprise 10.8.1.

Thank you,

Ray

0 Kudos
RoggerCorrea
New Contributor II

I'm getting the same error and I found a potential tedious workaround. You have to click on the drop-down options, and select AGAIN! your default values. After that, it should turn green on the left side and then you can republish. Would be good if there's a better solution than just having to click one by one all your template items. Cheers, 

RoggerCorrea_1-1622436954735.png

tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

WOW - I was tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. Default values are working correctly in Pro 2.7 but when I publish this data as a feature service to Enterprise 10.8.1 the default values are NULL. This is what worked for me:

Set default value > click into another field > click back into the field where I am setting the default value > click OK.

MichailMarinakis1
Occasional Contributor II

Same problem here with ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and Enterprise 10.8.1. Hope it is fixed soon. The workaround with changing the default value > click into other field and back does the trick.

0 Kudos
MichaelDerevnin
New Contributor II

This bug is holding with PRO 2.8.3 (and supported enterprise and geodatabase).

With having 15 subtypes with changing domains it is not very pleasant workaround, but it works. Thanks for this, I was just about to give up and go back to ArcMap.

0 Kudos