Select to view content in your preferred language

Facing Some Issues with Core i5 Laptop and ESRI Product ArcGIS Pro 3.0 - Any Advice?

08-20-2024 03:30 AM
Judywatsonn
Emerging Contributor

Hi everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well. I’m having some trouble with my Core i5 laptop when using ESRI ArcGIS Pro 3.0. The issues are affecting my workflow, and I’m not sure how to resolve them.

Here’s a brief overview of the problems I’m encountering:

1. Performance: The software is running slower than expected, which is impacting my efficiency.
  2. Compatibility: I’ve experienced occasional crashes or glitches, especially when working with larger datasets or complex projects.
  3. Functionality: Some features seem to be lagging or not responding as they should, which might be related to system resources or software settings.

I’ve attempted some troubleshooting steps, including updating drivers and checking for software updates, but the issues persist.

Has anyone faced similar problems or have any advice on how to resolve these issues? Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

I would recommend running this tool: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm#GUID-058357D...

What are the results of the test above?

Also what is the exact version of Pro that you are using, including patch level (i.e.: 3.2.2, 3.3.1, etc.)?

Where is the data that you are using in relation to your laptop?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Try downloading and running this tool: ArcGIS Pro Performance Assessment Tool (PAT) v17

0 Kudos
ShaneONeill_144
Esri Contributor

Running the following will provide you with an output with some insights into how well your machine can run ArcGIS Pro https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/clientapp?refid=1256&appkey=6D681CD0-BA6C-4B6B-9A82-639759CFD0...

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain
Frequent Contributor

Hi, 

if the tests show that your configuration is ok, maybe is because Pro have big problems with speed, particularly with geoprocessing, and others things.

0 Kudos
RTPL_AU
Frequent Contributor

@Judywatsonn  There are 2 sides to the problem. 

1.  The ArcGIS Pro UI and dialog boxes are laggy, independent of any data. It will improve a bit as you throw better hardware at it but at some point nothing you do will make it better.  
  2. Pro, as with many GIS tools, are sensitive to your data sources, be it on local storage or network storage. Use the fastest storage possible (NVME SSD, 10GBE, etc).  Data source optimisation also covers using FGDB instead of shp, managing indexes, optimising vertices, etc. 
    Highly optimised data can be used over slow networks or bad data can be accommodated for with very fast storage & networks. Do what you can.

There are settings/options in Pro to set the rendering engine & quality, etc. It is all interrelated to make getting the best performance out of Pro quite complex; and it can all change with a Pro update.  3.3 seems to have more issues for me than 3.2.  3.4 is going to fix some of the UI lag allegedly...

Pretty much anything modern & quality will pass the hardware requirements yet some parts of Pro will run badly - like the Symbology Pane or any of the file management dialogs.
The same for PAT - It can highlight some issues but it doesn't measure mouse clicks or mouse travel distance issues.

Some of the old ArcMap "performance enhancers" still seem to work - such as keeping the attribute table closed when editing or doing some geoprocessing tasks otherwise it will keep trying to sort/update it, etc.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In addition to the previous comments, Kory Kramer published this article - Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro (esri.com) - that list items to set/check to increase performance of ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
RTPL_AU
Frequent Contributor

@Robert_LeClair  anybody at Esri able to define Large as used in "Slower performance might be related to a large or bloated project." from above link? 
My large isn't the same as someone on a laptop's and these vague statements seem to be used often in performance conversations.

The link has some very good basics but doesn't have enough meat on the bones to link back to the hardware requirements quantitively. 
Splitting it into data-related vs UI/UX-related performance guidelines will make it much more useful to all the new Pro users or those who have not been fiddling with computers for decades. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

To my knowledge, no I have not seen what constitues a large or bloated *.aprx.  I do know that performance issues can be "seen" in the ArcGIS Pro Diagnostic Monitor.  Have you used this functionality before?

0 Kudos