Extract Values to Points tool in Pro gives only null, why?

06-05-2018 11:59 AM
KarenRank
New Contributor

I attempted to use the Extract Values to Points tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2 with a set of about 1,000 points and a single band raster. Everything I tried resulted in null values or -9999, which I understand means null. I switched to ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1 and used the same tool with the same data to perform the same task and it worked just fine. Is there something new about the way Pro is using this tool? Thanks!

9 Replies
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Exactly the same issue with ArcGIS Pro 2.2!

In ArcGIS Pro, my point feature class has 47 points and only 2 points got an elevation from a SRTM1 Mosaic dataset. While in ArcGIS 10.5, all got an elevation from SRTM1 from the same Mosaic dataset.

Moreover, the Extract Values to Points tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.2 truncated my points shapefile! Any points falling outside the raster geographic extent were simply deleted from the output shapefile! Not a good behaviour.

For the time being, I don't have any option than reverting to ArcGIS 10.5 for this geoprocessing.

ESRI please fix this tool asap.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Vincent... open a case and send the data so they can test.

Nothing gets fixed unless it is reported and verified.

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

How to open a case with ESRI?

Cannot find where...

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Vincent... Do you have permissions?

If so go to My Esri (top right), go to your organization, then support... If you have permission to open cases, then you can, otherwise, you have to get the person with permissions to add you to the permission list and/or get them to do it.  With the last open... if you try to be as confusing as possible, they normally just add you so that they don't have to deal with bugs or you again

VincentLaunstorfer

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your guidance. In my organization, I am not entitled to open cases in my ESRI. However, I will report the issue in a way or another...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The most common cause of this type of discrepancy is that the analysis extent has not been expressly set in the processing environments.  Can you check the environments that were used.

Extract Values to Points—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

at the bottom of that link, you can examine the environment settings that are honored by the tool... which means, if they aren't set or known, then all bets are off on the outcome.

VincentLaunstorfer

Good point!

In Environments settings, the Default and Union extents behave like the Intersection. It is rather misleading and this is certainly not the behaviour you would expect!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I suppose we shall have to wait to see if Karen raised the issue and got any rresponse

0 Kudos
KarenRank
New Contributor

Apologies, I had forgotten about this question until I was notified of your responses. I took the advice of examining the environments (I am now in ArcGIS Pro 2.2) and made some adjustments there, namely setting the Output Coordinate System the same as the current map and the tool then worked. Kind of annoyed at myself for not thinking of that sooner.

0 Kudos