Exporting WebMap to ArcGIS Online in a projection that isn't WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere)

03-07-2021 07:41 AM
Labels (2)
JosaskMaps
New Contributor II

Hey there, I am a student and this is my first post so please go easy on me. The reason I am asking this question is because neither of my instructors have been able(or willing?) to help me and I could not find an answer on my own.

My situation:

I am creating maps for an area that is best represented by NAD 1983 UTM Zone 13N projection. I wish to export the work I do as a webmap to ArcGIS Online so I can create webapps for the analysis.

My problem:

I cannot export a map if all the layers, including basemap, are not in the same coordinate system.

What I have tried:

- Looking for a basemap within Living Atlas that matches the projection I want my features to be in.

- Creating a custom basemap, but I did not get very far with this.

My question:

How do I go about getting my map into my ArcGIS Online content so that it is displayed in NAD 1983 UTM Zone 13N (or any other projection I wish to use)?

Additional:

Please comment on whether I presented this question well or not, as I wish to participate in the community more.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From FAQ—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

If you have a suitable substitute or permissions

What is the coordinate system of the web maps in Map Viewer and can I change it?

In Map Viewer, all layers in a web map inherit the coordinate system of the basemap. Web Mercator is the coordinate system of basemaps in the default basemap gallery. If you want to use a coordinate system other than Web Mercator for your web map, you can directly to the map to create a custom basemap. Alternatively, an administrator can configure your organization to use a custom basemap gallery with basemaps in a coordinate system other than Web Mercator.

... sort of retired...
JosaskMaps
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply,

So I went through and figured out how to make my own featured tile layer the basemap. Now I am wondering how to create a basemap that uses imagery in my desired projection.

Could I somehow snip an area of satellite imagery to use as the basemap for creating new operational layers on top of?

Another question:

How would I go about making a custom basemap that I can save and use again in multiple projects within ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

of course you can

Clip Raster (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Then from the Project backstage

project_basemap.png

... sort of retired...
JosaskMaps
New Contributor II

Okay good to know, might utilize that in the future. I ended up just creating a custom basemap from world imagery and it should do the trick for this project.

Thank you for the help I got a lot out of your comments!

0 Kudos